Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
pwm 5 amps — Parallax Forums

pwm 5 amps

TobiasTobias Posts: 95
edited 2010-06-06 23:43 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to control a 5 amp coil with the pwm output, I am using a irf530 mosfet transistor and it is getting really hot but controlling the coil like it should I know it should not get very hot , i geuss i am over currenting it.
What are your solutions on the curcuit?
Thanks, Toby

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-04-18 18:48
    From the datasheet, a gate-source voltage of 5 volts will allow about 4 amps within the safe operating area.

You may want to look at a mosfet made to switch fully on at logic levels, IRL510 or IRL520 perhaps.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • TobiasTobias Posts: 95
    edited 2010-04-25 18:04
    I have got the pwmout pin hooked directly to the pin for the irf530, I don't know if that is the right way to do it. Please help, Thanks, Toby
    ·
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-04-25 22:47
    That will be acceptable, although it is better design to:
    a) put a hundred or so ohms in series between the Stamp pin and the mosfet Gate.
    b) put a pull down resistor ( 15K) between Gate and Source so the mosfet will not drift into the linear region if the Stamp pin floats.

As I noted previously, your particular mosfet will not handle much more than 4 amps with only 5 volts on the gate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • TobiasTobias Posts: 95
    edited 2010-06-02 19:01
    What will happen when I hook up 12v to the source?

Thanks, Toby
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-02 19:28
    Tobias,
    Look at the graphs on the datasheet, particularly the source current vs gate voltage. Increasing the source voltage will only slightly increase the source current at a given gate voltage. You really need an MOSFET that conducts the current you want (preferably more) at the gate voltage you have available (which is a little less than 5V).
  • wiresalotwiresalot Posts: 40
    edited 2010-06-06 23:43
    A 5 amp coil? what are you trying to run?