Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp compatability with the Sparkfun serial backpack — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp compatability with the Sparkfun serial backpack

GeekgirlGeekgirl Posts: 50
edited 2010-04-16 10:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Team,

Has anyone had experience using the Sparkfun serial backpack to interface 4X20·LCD displays to·basic stamps, or is it just not compatable?

I'd like to use this bright, high contrast,·display:·http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_87&products_id=2037

with some stamp projects.· ... hopefully with minimal code modifications.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Darlene

Comments

• TumblerTumbler Posts: 323
    edited 2010-04-15 18:56
    What's wrong with this one? http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Displays/tabid/159/CategoryID/34/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/51/Default.aspx

The one at newhavendisplay is a parallel display, you can find some code to use with a bs2. Or if you want to use the sparkfun backpack: it's compatible.
  • electrosyselectrosys Posts: 212
    edited 2010-04-15 20:22
    Hello Darlene

Here you can look at the Sparkfun serial backpack PDF.file with all the commands and Sparkfun serial backpack codes:

http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/LCD/SerLCD_V2_5.PDF

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    At the end, everything will became Electrons...!
  • GeekgirlGeekgirl Posts: 50
    edited 2010-04-15 20:41
    Tumbler said...
    What's wrong with this one? http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Displays/tabid/159/CategoryID/34/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/51/Default.aspx

The one at newhavendisplay is a parallel display, you can find some code to use with a bs2. Or if you want to use the sparkfun backpack: it's compatible.
    Not that there's anything wrong with it, just that it's not as well suited to my application as I think the Newhaven one will be. I have used that display numerous times. It's easy to use and reasonably priced for as easy to use as it is. The integrated·Parallax backpack makes it seemlessly integrate with the basic stamp's serout.

Like most black on green displays, it lacks in brightness and contrast, especially for underwater use, even with backlighting on.

I'm working on the PO2 display /·HUD controller for another rebreather project and wanted to try something besides the usual Parallax black on green·4X20.

Darlene

·
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-04-15 23:44
    Geekgirl very cool can you tell us the details of your project? I was wondering about using the BS2 for some diving circuits I was thinking up but to be honest I really do not have a good way to water proof the boards.
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-04-15 23:53
    Geekgirl -- that display is fully compatible with Stamps, as is any TTL/CMOS serial device with bauds available at or below 38.4khz.

It basically a question of using SEROUT to send the correct commands and display data (at the correct baud and serial parameters) to the device. In this case, their backpack "defaults" to 9600 baud, so that's the baud you'd use in your SEROUT. It looks pretty simple to use -- send some binary/hex commands
    to put the cursor where you want, etc., then send ASCII text for actual characters.

e.g.

SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $0C ] ' turn display on
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $01 ] ' clear display
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $7C, 128+15 ] ' set at ~half brightness -- brightness value may be 128+0 (dim) through 128+29 (bright)
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $80, 64 ] ' set display to cursor position 64 (first character of line 2)
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] "Hello World!" ] ' send some text

The datasheet discusses these. If you have specific questions after reviewing the sheet, ask the forum....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php

Post Edited (Zoot) : 4/15/2010 11:59:14 PM GMT
  • GeekgirlGeekgirl Posts: 50
    edited 2010-04-16 10:01
    Zoot,
    Thanks man, I owe you a beer of your choice.
    I'll order·a backpack·and give it a go.

Darlene

Zoot said...
    Geekgirl -- that display is fully compatible with Stamps, as is any TTL/CMOS serial device with bauds available at or below 38.4khz.

It basically a question of using SEROUT to send the correct commands and display data (at the correct baud and serial parameters) to the device. In this case, their backpack "defaults" to 9600 baud, so that's the baud you'd use in your SEROUT. It looks pretty simple to use -- send some binary/hex commands
    to put the cursor where you want, etc., then send ASCII text for actual characters.

e.g.

SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $0C ] ' turn display on
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $01 ] ' clear display
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $7C, 128+15 ] ' set at ~half brightness -- brightness value may be 128+0 (dim) through 128+29 (bright)
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] $80, 64 ] ' set display to cursor position 64 (first character of line 2)
    SEROUT Pin, Baud, Params, [noparse][[/noparse] "Hello World!" ] ' send some text

The datasheet discusses these. If you have specific questions after reviewing the sheet, ask the forum....