Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepper motor control? — Parallax Forums

Stepper motor control?

VaatiVaati Posts: 712
edited 2010-04-30 17:14 in BASIC Stamp
Can I use some power transistors to control a stepper motor instead of using a darlington array? I don't have the uln2003, and I have a bunch of power transistors... I was thinking of having an I/O of the BS2 forward-biasing the transistors, with the collector connected to 6 volts and the emitter connected to the stepper motor pin. Would that work?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
MCU Projects·- my new site where I will be posting all projects, code, etc.

Quit buying all those fixed voltage regulators, and·get an Adjustable Power Supply·for your projects!· Includes an LED testing terminal!

SD Card Adapter·- Add extra memory to your next Propeller project with ease!

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-04-11 16:43
    You can configure discrete transistors as Darlington amplifiers and use them as you would the "gates" of an "array".
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-04-13 17:20
    Vaati,

The Darlington Array is a set of 8 transistors; so yes, you could use a bank of transistors to accomplish the same task.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • JaimeJaime Posts: 16
    edited 2010-04-30 17:14
    If you stepping motor is big and requires more current, use an NPN transistor i.e: 2N2222 or BC547 (coming from the outpot of the basic stamp) 1k at the base of the transistor, emitter to Gnd , 10k connected to collector to +12Vdc, then from the collector connect it to the gate of a MOSFET i.E IRFZ40, the source of the MOSFET to gnd and connect the drain to one coil of the stepper coils and from the other end of the coil to V+ typically +12 V parallel a diode to keep the MOSFET healthy, this configuration has to be repeated 4 times since the steppers usually have 4 coils. be careful that the transformer you are using is capable to supply the required current and voltage. These MOSFETS handle large inductive loads, you might need a muffin fan to keep your system cold and of course your MOSFETS have to have attached to a good heath sink.

Have fun