Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What's a microcontoller - Stamp Plot Lite Com port issue — Parallax Forums

What's a microcontoller - Stamp Plot Lite Com port issue

nortyrichnortyrich Posts: 2
edited 2010-04-11 21:50 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem trying to send data to stamp plot lite. The drop down menu for com port only lists com ports 1 through to 4, but on my laptop the BoE (version D, USB) is connected to COM12 and this cannot be manually entered.

I have tried rebooting my computer to no avail (the advice given in thread http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=5&m=260667), but this does not seem to work for me as the USB interface persists in using COM 12

Any ideas.

Cheers

Comments

• SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
    edited 2010-04-10 01:44
    You can select ports manually for information so try playing around. But dont play around that much that you blow up your stamp. When its says stamp not found then click on edit ports then play around there.

Restart your computer with that port in your system then see if it works.
    If still not works then restart again with something else connected to that port.
    If still not works goto control panel and then goto device manager and go down there and remove that USB thing from there and again refresh it.

It will work i think then

I am just student. Maybe your problem will not get solved so dont get disappointed.

Post Edited (Sandhuamarinder) : 4/10/2010 5:29:15 AM GMT
  • nortyrichnortyrich Posts: 2
    edited 2010-04-11 21:50
    Thank's for the advice Sandhuamarinder - using the device manager worked in the end.

For anyone else experiencing the same problem using USB board of education and not familiar with using device manager the following steps worked for me:

Start menu
    = > control panel
    => System
    => select 'hardware' tab on the form which opens
    => click the 'device manager' button
    => In the new window which opens and showing devices in a tree struction, select ' ports (COM & LPT)' to expand (about two thirds of the way down)
    => Select USB Serial port (Com #) where # is the number of the com port in the debug window
    => select 'Port settings' tab
    => In the drop down menu next to the label COM port number, select a COM port number between 1 and 4, hopefully one should be available, and click ok.

As per the instructions in the What's a microcontroller text book, close the debug window and open stamp plot lite. Select the Com port number corresponding to the one you just selected in device manager. Check the 'connect' and plot check boxes....bish bash bosh.