Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Measure Electrodermal Activity — Parallax Forums

Measure Electrodermal Activity

cicatrixcicatrix Posts: 1
edited 2013-02-12 12:38 in Accessories
Hi

I have to use the microcontroller kit for some biomechanical applications for a project. I would really like to do something with measuring Electrodermal activity of the skin. I have the Propellor Education Starter Kit and have started working on labs in the book that came along with that. Any help with starting this or any other interesting bio mechanical application for the propellor chip will be of great help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,557
    edited 2010-04-03 07:17
    You might try modifying your search to include "Myoelectric" which involves measuring the electrical activity of muscles at the transcutaneous level.

In any case, you will most likely need to use an instrumentation style of Op-Amp to minimize any DC biasing on the inputs as well as operate the Op-Amp in differential mode to filter out any common mode interference since your signals are going to be so low. If I remember correctly a valid myo-electric signal can range in the 10s of micro amps to 100's of micro amps depending on the location of the sensors and physical health of the individual.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2010-04-03 13:32
    I would LOVE to see a 99$ prop ECG 3 lead kit sold / made ....
    it would be a whole lot lighter then useing my lifepak 10 for fun tests . and the same guts could dubble as a O scope...

Peter KG6LSE

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Carpe Ducktum" "seize the tape!!"
    peterthethinker.com/tesla/Venom/Venom.html
    Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway. —Tanenbaum, Andrew S.
    LOL
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-04-04 00:45
    Silver/silver chloride electrodes are generally used for lab GSR studies, with electrode jelly. Many years ago I designed a system for detecting eye position showing the direction of gaze on a video image, using EOG with those sort of electrodes. I used very expensive isolation amplifiers - basically instrumentation amps with capacitive barriers - for safety.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM

Post Edited (Leon) : 4/4/2010 12:50:09 AM GMT
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-04-09 15:30
    There are several toys on the market that "supposedly" do this very thing. Mattel make one. Another is the Star Wars "Force" or something like that. The Star Wars one has been communicated with on Hack of the day.com It'd make you life easier if you could find one of those!

A digital VOM seems to detect varying continuity in the skin Meg-ohm range.... if that helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • MakroRageRMakroRageR Posts: 1
    edited 2013-02-10 11:31
    Hi there,

I am just about to start some EDA measurements in form of nonspecific SCR during relaxation (to access "electrodermal lability" trait) and I would like to ask, how to correct interindividual variance (range correction).
    Has anybody any experience with this issue?

Thank you.

M.
  • PropGuy2PropGuy2 Posts: 358
    edited 2013-02-12 12:38
    I worked with biological agents years ago. We used infared, visual and ultraviolet Luminance to detect germs, etc. Hint - study jellyfish to get an insight to how this works. It is a new field and shows great potential for anyone who wants to put the time in...