Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ultrasonic parking alert using basic stamp — Parallax Forums

Ultrasonic parking alert using basic stamp

fearfactorymetalfearfactorymetal Posts: 1
edited 2010-04-03 02:50 in BASIC Stamp
Hello.· im new to basic stamps.· Im wanting to use the basic stamp with ultrasonic sensors to sense a wall.· when the sensor senses the wall about 3 meters out i want a speaker to have a pulsed chirp.· the closer the object the faster the chirps.·· has anyone experimented with this type of setup?· any information would be greatly appreciated...

thanks
vic

Comments

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-03-31 18:05
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-03-31 21:28
    Here's·a cheaper & simpler option,· a $12·Ultrasonic sensor from China that doesn't even need a Stamp for a simple yes/no LED indicator, you could have it turn an LED on or off at a preset distance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultrasound-Motion-Sensor-for-Robotic-Basic-Stamp-New_W0QQitemZ110511230652QQcmdZ

I just ordered one. It has a digital output (normally high, active low) when triggered. You can adjust the range to·one of 16 distances .3-10 M. There is a different ·version with a range from .3 to 3 M.

attachment.php?attachmentid=74098

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
    393 x 236 - 3K
  • PlitchPlitch Posts: 39
    edited 2010-04-01 17:50
    This project seems fairly simple.· I use a post mounted ultrasonic sensor aimed down at a piece of plywood to measure the depth of snow.· The sensor I use (SensComp #616105) has an output of 0 - 10 volts depending on distance (up to 20 feet).· If you use a MAX1270 analog to digital converter, this voltage can be converted to a digital value, and that value can be used to set a frequency for the beep.

Somewhere nearby is my recent post about a problem I was having with multiple inputs.· It has all the code necessary for my distance sensor, although the code for a Stamp chip used in a PLC is a bit different that if used with a Stamp motherboard and A/D converter.The title is "Does progarm section order make a difference?"

Of course, using a Ping and other A/D converter may be cheaper.· But you certainly should be able to work out how to translate the output voltage level from the US sensor to a change in beep tones.
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-04-01 19:21
    This would be VERY easy with a Basic Stamp, Ping and a noise maker of some kind. Of course it would cost $100 for the stamp and sensor [noparse]:)[/noparse]

A guy might be able to do it with just the Ping, two 555 timers, a transistor and a speaker..... with assorted resistors, caps and a voltage regulator.... Maybe $40? The idea I have in mind would give you more of a variable frequency "static" or ticks than an actual tone.

Erco's link seems the best bet though, unless this is just an excuse to build something with the stamp [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-04-01 19:27
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-04-02 22:37
    @erco - please re-read your sig line. =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2010-04-03 02:50
    All good, Chris! Besides, this may backfire on me yet. I emailed the China seller about the U/S sensor I mentioned and bought. I asked how to adjust the timing and distance, and his poor english seemed to imply that it's not adjustable... [noparse]:([/noparse] Description clearly states... Will advise.

In the mean time, Guys, "Build it (with Stamps and genuine Parallax parts) and they will come!"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."