Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Load Cell & 24 bit ADC help — Parallax Forums

Load Cell & 24 bit ADC help

KevinJRClarkKevinJRClark Posts: 2
edited 2010-03-28 13:29 in Accessories
I really really really need to measure mass with a load cell, do a bit of math and turn a bit on or off as a result of the math. I have the easy stuff worked out. My issue is the load cell. I have a 2.3kg load cell that puts out 1mV/V. I need about 18 bits to get the 10gram accuracy I require. I found a ADS1210P 24bit delta sigma ADC. It has a lot of functions and is really fast. Neither of which I need. I could stand a sample rate of 1Hz. Sooo.... My question is: has anybody worked with the ADS12XX ADCs before. If so would you share code? and setup experience? If not has anyone worked with other SIMPLE 18-24bit ADCs? At this point help would really be.... well helpful.
K

Post Edited (KevinJRClark) : 3/27/2010 3:53:47 AM GMT

Comments

• dredre Posts: 106
    edited 2010-03-27 04:36
    Kevin,

Although I realize most replies to your query will offer help with chosing and coding for 24 bit ADCs, I would like to offer another approach.

My experience has been with using an instrumentation amplifier to produce a near 5 volt full scale output, which can then be fed into a more common and stable 12 bit ADC. Instrumentation amplifiers are relatively stable and inexpensive; and they offer the ability to examine the load cell output [noparse][[/noparse]with a digital voltmeter] before converting the signal to digital. My favorate instrumentation amplifier is the INA125. In addition to a range of amplification of 4 to 10,000 it has· built-in voltage references of 2.5, 5, or 10 volts for bridge supply.

Your figure of 1 mv/V, at full scale I presume, seems low for a strain gage based load cell. Most commerical load cells produce around 3mv/V. But even at 1m/V, if the cell will take a 10 volt supply you will need only a amplifier gain of 500 to feed a 0-5 volt ADC; well within instrumentation amplifier capability.

As for the ADC, I use the TLC2543 as it offers 12 channels and is excellently documented for use by the Stamp :

http://www.emesystems.com/OL2tlc2543.htm

cheers, David

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-03-27 06:28
    What microcontroller are you planning on using? You'll get more specific responses if you let us know...

Anyway, from the datasheet (www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hochmuth/bvp/ads1210.pdf) it appears that the communication is straight forward, if a little bit awkward. On the lowest level it's just a clocked interface, something the propeller or the BS2 can do easily. From the next higher level, you have to do some register writing. You send it a command (which is written to the instruction register), and that determines what sort of data you should send afterwards (such as a command, or a wait for the ADC reading). You'll have to sift through the datasheet, since communication is mostly a series of finicky setup parameters. BTW, I wouldn't label this as a simple ADC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔