Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sensory touch speak device (need ideas) — Parallax Forums

Sensory touch speak device (need ideas)

thangngocthangngoc Posts: 23
edited 2010-03-29 01:26 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to built a sensory touch speak device (similar to the cheap talk device) for a person who is nonverbal and blind. The device would contain 8 textured switches. Whenever a person touch the switch, then the pre-recorded voice would play. I have a little experience with programming, so do you think I can use Basic Stamp micro-controller for this project. If so, which IC chips or module (compatible with BS) that I need to use for recording voice and message. Thanks

Comments

• JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-03-26 00:11
    Thangngoc,

The BASIC Stamp 2 modules can not record by itself; however there are a number of modules out there that could be used with the BASIC Stamp 2 module to accomplish that task. There is a company EFX-TEK that has a sound module that might be just right. Here is a link to their web site; you can review and see if this could be a possibility.

EFX-TEK [noparse][[/noparse] AP-8 ]:
    http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/ap-8.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • thangngocthangngoc Posts: 23
    edited 2010-03-26 18:23
    Thanks for your suggestion! I've done some research and figure that the ISD Chip could let you record sound and voice which is shown in the link you gave me. Do you think I can use that module to hook up with Basic Stamp 2 because it said on the page that EFX-TEK[noparse][[/noparse]Ap8] can interfere with serial communications between a prop controller (Prop-1, Prop-2, or Prop-SX) . The item is discontinued and out of stock, any idea I could order one?

Post Edited (thangngoc) : 3/26/2010 6:36:37 PM GMT
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-03-26 19:30
    This might work for you. www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9356

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Mike2545Mike2545 Posts: 433
    edited 2010-03-26 23:57
    This is a fun little unit www.talkbotbrain.com/

You can load a wav file and play it back. One nice thing is you can load several and access the slot it is in with a simple serial command, it only holds about 24 seconds of audio, enough for about 50 spoken words.

If you order, tell him you are using the BS2, he will load it with firmware for appropriate baud rate communication seen here:
    www.talkbotbrain.com/TalkBot_SourceFiles.htm

talkbot_yel.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike2545

Post Edited (Mike2545) : 3/27/2010 12:29:25 AM GMT
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-03-29 01:26
    I have used ELK120 and other boards from these guys, http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-120.htm in commercial applications. You can record several messages and they are triggered by a pulse sent to a specific pin. A bit pricey, but they work really well.