Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 reading HD — Parallax Forums

BS2 reading HD

JETJET Posts: 3
edited 2010-03-26 14:27 in BASIC Stamp
Is it possible to connect a BS2 to a Hard Drive and have it pull instructions out of files stored on it?

I understand this question will either have an immediate no, or will have a very complicated answer.

If it IS possible. Please point me to any places I can read up on how its done.
Multiple Google searches didn't turn up much. So I though I would ask here in the forums.

I am looking for a way to increase the amount of storage the stamp has, so I thought that maybe if it could be set up to read
strings from files stored on external devices it could convert them into instructions and execute them.
I'm guessing if external storage is possible that the stamp would have to "load" and "unload" strings each time it was supposed to
perform a command. To keep from filling up the available memory.

Please enlighten me on this subject, or point me to some good reading if possible, I'm here to learn.

Thanks for any help. smile.gif

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-03-25 16:52
    The BS2 only has 26 BYTES of ram, so this would be difficult.
  • JETJET Posts: 3
    edited 2010-03-25 16:52
    Difficult meaning possible though?
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-03-25 21:37
    Sure, if you added enough parts between the HD and the stamp anything is possible. It would not be practical though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,532
    edited 2010-03-26 00:26
    Hi JET , you might consider the data logger at this link http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/datalogger/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/434/Default.aspx

This device is not only used for logging data·but also for reading and writing information on a USB thumbdrive just as you would a hard drive.

It is possible , as you suggest , to·control how a program behaves by reading ·ASCII strings or binary data from the logger . A good example might be a database of authorised users in a RFID keyless entry system.

Jeff T.
  • rh3drh3d Posts: 14
    edited 2010-03-26 02:31
    Jeff, when you post awesome stuff like this it is very difficult for me to concentrate on my current projects [noparse];)[/noparse] . Thanks for asking the question JET and thanks for the link Jeff!
  • rixterrixter Posts: 95
    edited 2010-03-26 02:52
    Jet,

It sounds like you are seeking more program space as opposed to data space. I've used the data logger successfully to read in strings of text to EEPROM for use in my program as data. I use a BS2pe that has the most amount of storage of the BASIC Stamps. You can use several slots for program space on several of the BASIC Stamps as well. In my case, I use two of the slots for program segments and the remaining 14 for potential data that is manipulated by the program. Reading a TXT file from the Data Logger is not real fast, but it is not a concern in my case because I am only reading the data in once per use of the device I built that aids in bicycle route navigation. Reading in strings of data for use as program code segments would certainly be a bigger project, but it would have to big one big A program to exceed the program space of the BS2p series.

Rick
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2010-03-26 03:00
    ··· I just consulted with one of our Forum experts about using a VMusic2 with a USB hard drive.· I'm told it is possible.· The Memory Stick Datalogger uses the same Vinculum chip as the VMusic2 so it sounds ·like interfacing a USB hard drive·using either of these devices is possible.· ·
  • JETJET Posts: 3
    edited 2010-03-26 14:27
    Unsoundcode, I plan to look into this today. Thanks for the incite and link.

rh3d, Your welcome, I like posing questions like these, I'm sure I'll have more.

rixter, It's quite a large program. Pseudo Infant AI. I won't go into much detail here for sake of a long post.

Mikerocontroller, Good to know that it is confirmed.