Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
can someone tell me how to make 2 stamps communicate with each other — Parallax Forums

can someone tell me how to make 2 stamps communicate with each other

SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
edited 2010-03-31 12:24 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi
I am using a basic stamp 2.5 and we guys are woring on project. In which we are using HMI (which is LCD and some push buttons connected to it).
So now problem is we are were using 1 stamp before but unfortunately we run out of pins we are having 0 to 15 pins which makes it to 16.
Now we guys need more pins for which we are using now 2 stamps. But problem is that we guys dont know how to make 2 Basic stamps communicate with each other. Thats are problem.
I am student. So plz give all the information at the level of Student.
Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-25 03:29
    There is information in the BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual in the sections on the SERIN and SEROUT statements. There's also a pair of columns in the Nuts and Volts Columns on networking multiple Stamps. Look in the Resources page on Parallax's website for the index to the columns. The StampWorks Manual and the Nuts and Volts Columns also has information on I/O Expanders like the 74HC595 (for output) and the 74HC165 (for input) shift registers.
  • SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
    edited 2010-03-25 03:48
    Ok i was looking at that.

Now problem is how they are getting A,B,C,D. I am not getting the concept bcoz this is not teached in the school to me thats the problems. And we have Robot Arm project. In which we also using HMI. Can you explain in detail here. Bcoz i hate reading·manuals at the place of reading short terms like all the people in the world.

People make manuals 1/100 use them. Rest all call·to customer service like me. To get the thing in short. No tension.

Same here. I hate reading manuals

Sir can u tell me short how i can do that. Bcoz i really dont no anything about communication between the stamps and we are not teached in the school for that.

Can some one give me some kind of program from which i can understand what is going on and put details how it works. And everything about the circuit connections to.
    Thanks.
    I am ticked off now bcoz i dont have more pins. And have so much stuff to connect with stamp.

Post Edited By Moderator (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 3/29/2010 11:10:26 PM GMT
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-25 04:10
    You've got to use the manuals and the Nuts and Volts Columns. I'm not going to teach you how to do something when it's very well described in existing documents. If, after reading the documentation, you still don't understand something, by all means ask for help. There are excellent tutorial documents under "Stamps in Class Downloads" and "BASIC Stamp Documentation". Use the Downloads button on Parallax's main webpage.
  • SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
    edited 2010-03-26 02:41
    Thanks for the Help Sir

But i just changed my plan. To reduce the use of pins thats it. Its complicated to use 2 stamps. Easy just reduce the use of sensors.

Or will buy new stamp with more pins.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-03-27 05:52
    It's really easy to put together two or more Stamps.
    I have created a line of BASIC Stamp supercomputers.
    Each is some combination of stamps, beginning with two,
    on up to as many as 30. The one with two stamps is listed
    below and is the most simple project. If you want more stamps
    connected, follow some of the links below.

Minuscule = 2 stamps
    TriCore = 3
    SEED = 10
    BSS from 12 to 30
    others...

Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=821451
    Smallest possible supercomputer, lowest cost, increases power of one processor. Contains two processors. Used for testing/writing code related to connecting Stamps together, establishing baud rates, timing/syntax, and exploring various network configurations. Over one stamp, it doubles the power, number of pins, processing speed, and number of programming statements. It also gains the ability to run two programs at the same time and operate two sensors at the same time. Information can share between stamps. Use individual stamp chips or BS1 boards for lowest cost. Use BS2 chips or boards for a higher number of ports. Project is expandable. Grow it as your stamp collection increases.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Stamp SEED Supercomputer *Basic Stamp Supercomputer *TriCore Stamp Supercomputer
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Tiny Stamp Supercomputer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *BASIC Stamp Supercomputing Book *Three Dimensional Computer *StampOne News!
    *Penguin Tech *Penguin Robot Society *Toddler Humanoid Robot Project
    *Ultimate List Prop Languages *Prop-a-Lot *Propalot Stuff *Prop SC Computer
    *Prop IB Hypercomputer - under development *Hobby Space Program
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-03-31 12:24
    In order for stamps to communicate with each other, like humans, extensive therapy may be required. Inter-stamp communication does not come naturally, and the stamps will require much guidance in the use of the serin/serout commands.

Once communication is established, it will take ongoing therapy to keep the lines of communication open and productive. Without the therapy, communication degrades to random noise, much like the carbon based life forms on the other side of the silicon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log