Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Communicating Two Basic Stamps — Parallax Forums

Communicating Two Basic Stamps

adelatoaadelatoa Posts: 11
edited 2010-03-24 06:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Parallaxers/Basic Stampers,

As I am not new to basic stamps I have forgotten a lot I was taught in class. I learned about Parallax and the BS2 in my Architectural seminar class in 2005. Had a great project where I created a kegarator called the Predarator. Fun project that got me a few projects after graduation. Visit Robotecture.com as I was part of the IZoo exhibit at Sci_Arc (Southern California Institute of Architecture).

Now my latest project. "The Bubbler". I am creating a bubble water fountain for my wedding. The fountain consist of two glass cylinders that are 12" in diameter by 20" tall at each end of a 12 foot table reffered to as the "Main Bublers". In between the tables are 14 single cylinders that hold 12oz of water called the "chase bubbles". Each large cylinder(Main Bubbler) has 14 nozzles each have to be individually controlled. And each of the 12oz cylinders (of the chase bubblers) has one individual nozzle. In the entire project there are 42 nozzles that have to be controlled individually. The problem is that my BS2 only has 16 outputs and need to control 42 nozzles.

BTW I am using 42 solid state relays that where their control is between 3vdc-32vdc and they relay 120ac pneumatic air valves (42 of them). I am using a tank of CO2 as I will not be able to use a compressor as it might be too noisy at reception. My psi is under 1/2 psi per nozzle. The vision of this project is that it has to resemble a bit like the Bellagio Fountains in Las Vegas.

THE SCENARIOS/QUESTIONS I AM FACING AS SOLUTIONS (please school me as I am more of an architect trained that needs a bit more visual examples to get my thinking gears going):

1. Running three basic stamps. (One BS2 for one Main bubbler. The other BS2 for Chase bubbles. The third BS2 for second Main Bubbler.) In this scenario I am thinking of somehow linking the BS2's so that they can relay/communicate between each other. Is this possible anyone done it?

2. Running ONE basic stamp and multiplexing to control 42 nozzles with one stamp. Anyone can relate or done a similar task like this with their BS2?

3. Is there a developing board/s that can control 42 individual outputs out there?

This is a sketch of the center pieces for our wedding (I used to work at WET Design and was always facinated with the idea of creating a fountain of air withing a tank of water as oppose to a fountain in water misted in the air as they run the Bellagio Fountain in Las Vegas):

Image-4936703-95829382-2-Web_0_e27f7fa53e710865237820ed973c3f35_1

Please any help will be appreciated. If you are near Burbank and can help me out let me know we can meet up and I will provide lunch or dinner for anyone willing to help.

Thanks in advance,

Abel

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-03-24 06:09
    Multiplexing should work. There are lots of tutorials out there for LEDs, and you could replace each LED with (maybe) a transistor and the relay. This chip may also work to simplify a multiplexed design: www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1339. Probably the simplest (and best?) solution would be some serial to parallel registers.

If you decide to go with three stamps then you can communicate between with serial communications, although be aware that the stamp can't do anything else while it's listening for data.

As a design note, you may want to consider some control of the lighting. Some colored LEDs fading in and out could make a nice addition.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔