Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The difference in Accelerometer, Gyroscope and Digital Compass sensors — Parallax Forums

The difference in Accelerometer, Gyroscope and Digital Compass sensors

KashifKashif Posts: 15
edited 2010-03-22 22:52 in Accessories
Hi,

I have read the description of each of the following but I am confused as which one to use where?

·- Accelerometer

·- Gyroscope

·- Digital Compass

Can anyone please shed some light w.r.t practical uses of the above sensors.

Thanx & regards.

Comments

• kf4ixmkf4ixm Posts: 529
    edited 2010-03-22 22:27
    It really depends on what you want to do with them. the accelerometer will measure tilt angle and g-force, the gyroscope will give you a measurement of rate of tilt or turning as the the gyroscope moves on its axis and the digital compass will give you a reading of how its oriented on its axis in relation to magnetic north, just like a regular magnetic needle compass.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-03-22 22:32
    The accelerometer measures acceleration, the gyro measures rate of rotation, and the compass measures absolute heading (ideally with regards to the earth). If you want to know exactly what the attitude (orientation) of a robot is, then you generally use a 3 axis gyro and a 3 axis accelerometer. A compass can improve the attitude estimate in some situations.

One of these sensors can be used by itself in some certain applications. For example, the gyro can be used to let you know how fast something is turning, while an accelerometer is commonly used to determine tilt (with respect to the earth). A compass is used for exactly what it has always been used for: finding a heading.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔