Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Seeking Camera Module for Propeller — Parallax Forums

Seeking Camera Module for Propeller

BotdocterBotdocter Posts: 271
edited 2010-04-05 02:09 in Accessories
I'm looking for a camera module for my balancing robot. I want to use it for blobtracking and eventually object recoqnition.

I saw the CMU-cam but that's too expensive. I don't have that amount of money. Are there any other options? I thought about the linescan sensor too but that won't recognize anything else than barcodes.

Any tips are welcome!!

Also i need to order a Gyro to go with my memsic accelerometer. I found this one:

LISY300AL (#SFE08955)

Is this one compatible with the Proppeller? Is there any code available to make it work?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
1 Parallax Propeller Robot Control Board
1 Memsic MX2125 accelerometer/ tilt
1 Parallax Ping))) ultrasonic sensor

a few motors and a whole lot of chaos!

Post Edited (Botdocter) : 3/21/2010 12:48:48 PM GMT

Comments

• Robert TRobert T Posts: 71
    edited 2010-04-05 02:00
    What you are looking for is in the book, "Programming and Customizing the Multicore Propeller Microcontroller". It is available through the Parallax website. In chapter 8 Hanno describes the use of a gray scale ntsc micro camera and the code to interface to the propeller. The components are very inexpensive but you will have to buy and solder an 8 bit ADC chip.
  • Robert TRobert T Posts: 71
    edited 2010-04-05 02:09
    Other comments;

Vision processing will be limited by the addressable memory available. If your application requires color then the image that can be stored will be very small. If you plan on processing video in real time then additional memory added through a serial interface will probably be too slow.

Bottom line: Determine what your memory requirements will be before spending time trying to using the Propeller for memory intensive tasks.