Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Motion Sensor Alarm Clock Please Help? — Parallax Forums

Motion Sensor Alarm Clock Please Help?

YuviYuvi Posts: 7
edited 2011-02-02 23:05 in BASIC Stamp
Alright, so I am currently doing a group project for my research class which requires the use of a BASIC Stamp. We are attempting to build a motion-sensor alarm clock with the use of a passive motion sensor and a BASIC Stamp Super Carrier board. We have merely a week to finish this and we are beginners when it comes to coding something like this. What we want is; when the alarm clock goes off, the motion sensor will release a beam of light. The user will have to physically get out of bed and break the beam of light in order to turn the alarm off. Since we are beginners at coding, can anybody help us out with coding this? Thanks!

Also, how long do you think this project could take?

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-03-20 18:00
    Aren't you supposed to develop your own code for a class project like that?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Leon Heller
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
  • YuviYuvi Posts: 7
    edited 2010-03-20 18:06
    Yes, but we are beginners and have minimal time to finish this project. Also, they don't expect us to fully develop it on our own.
  • bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-03-20 18:11
    Passive IR motion sensors work by detecting body heat. They do not emit any light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_infrared_sensor

So this would depend on how your specific sensor works. When asking questions like this, it is good to say what specific brand/model sensor you are using. Then better yet is to provide a link to the technical documentation for that sensor.

Other than that, these sensors sometimes come with different "lenses" which will allow them to "see" a wide area or a narrow area. Or you block the view with cardboard or black electrical tape. Then it would not "see" the person rolling around in the bed. And you would need to aim this away from the bed.

And this sensor could be constantly detecting motion, and sending this signal to the stamp. But with code, you would ignore the signal unless the alarm is going off.

The IF statement can be used. IF alarm going off...

Then an AND statement can be used. IF alarm going off AND motion detected...
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-03-20 21:01
    What school do you go to, what class is this for and who is your instructor?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-03-20 21:41
    You should also remove your duplicate post as it is bad form to double post the same question. Use the red X in the top right of the other post.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • YuviYuvi Posts: 7
    edited 2010-03-23 21:01
    well, listen. help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Edited (Yuvi) : 3/23/2010 9:09:02 PM GMT
  • YuviCYuviC Posts: 2
    edited 2011-01-12 16:21
    bump bump bump
  • Mike GMike G Posts: 2,702
    edited 2011-01-12 17:09
    @Yuvi, you have to show some initiative if you want help. If your team gets stuck ask specific questions and you will find that this forum is a wealth of knowledge.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-01-12 17:12
    Nine months have gone by since your first post. Wasn't your project due in a week?

Show us how far you've gotten and we're happy to help!
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-01-13 00:37
    erco wrote: »
    Nine months have gone by since your first post. Wasn't your project due in a week?

Show us how far you've gotten and we're happy to help!
    I agree with erco on his point and here is my pointer. Look on the Parallax site for the Basic Stamp app notes, this will provide you with all kinds of information and code examples with schematics for each application.

The best way you can learn is by doing. It's called hands on and can't beat this type of learning and I do it everyday.
    edited 2011-02-02 20:27
    I am feeling sorry for Yuvi. I am pretty sure that nobody is going to help him in this regard. Bill190 is the only person who has shown some sort of willingness to help him. The rest are experts in asking questions. Anyway I hope that Yuvi was able to complete the project in time.
    Ritrer, the people here are glad to help but we do need to have something to go on. Also the project was assigned for a reason and I know of no school that assigns a project without some way to achieve the end result unless it's a psych. course
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-02-02 23:05
    Look at his (ritrer's) other posts...

Rich H