Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how to clean IR sensor — Parallax Forums

how to clean IR sensor

SYSSSYSS Posts: 10
edited 2010-03-11 05:18 in Accessories
I have IR sensor I use it to detect object yesterday I was test the (IR sensor) I discover
that it is detect object or something always even if nothing is in front of it, I think some dusts are attached on IR or something else
I want to know the right way to clean IR?

IR_Sensor.jpg

Post Edited (SYSS) : 3/11/2010 4:42:37 AM GMT
213 x 199 - 5K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-11 04:55
    Dust will not make the sensor do that. If there's a lot of dust on the sensor, it may lose some sensitivity, but that's all. Most likely you electrically damaged the sensor itself while you were testing it. The other possibility is that you damaged the circuit you're using to detect the sensor state.

The proper way to clean an IR LED or IR sensor is with a soft clean cloth like those used for cleaning eyeglasses. The IR sensor and IR LED are made of plastic and mostly you want to prevent scratching although some slight scratching won't be noticed.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-03-11 05:18
    SYSS,

I suspect, based on your attached photo, that you are not using a shroud with your IREDs and that the sensors are detecting the light that leaks out the back and sides. If you don't have any of those round plastic LED housings available, you can use shrink tubing (or even black electrical tape in a pinch) to shield all but the front of the IRED.

-Phil