Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PS/2 working with BS2? — Parallax Forums

PS/2 working with BS2?

logan996logan996 Posts: 281
edited 2010-03-09 02:10 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, i long ago took apart a old device that let's you have a vga screen and have mutiple computer to switch the screen to. It was old so i took it apart for the nice enclosure, but i always kept the PS/2 plugs and vga plugs, now i realize i could use them! i was wondering that if i used the right resistors if i could unterface a PS/2 style keyboard with the BS2. Does anyone know if that would be possible? and if so could they help me a bit to get started?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
"When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

· Thomas Jefferson
·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-08 02:26
    You can't interface directly to a PS/2 style keyboard using a Stamp. You could do it with some external logic or an external small microcontroller like a 6 or 8 pin PIC. Multilabs used to make something like that called an ezKey, but they've closed up shop.
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-03-08 02:30
    what do you program PIC's in?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
    edited 2010-03-08 02:33
    and if i made a PIC converter item would a keyboard then work with a bs2? and how about a mouse could i make a converter for that too?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-08 02:42
    Yes, you could make a PS/2 to something else converter for a keyboard and a similar converter for a mouse. Do a web search for things like "PS/2 keyboard converter" and "PS/2 mouse converter" and explore what's been done. You'll at least get detailed descriptions of how PS/2 devices work.
    edited 2010-03-08 02:45
    ok, thank you, and real quick what do you program PIC's in?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2010-03-08 04:14
    As far as the PIC goes, there are two parts to the answer:

You write your code in MPLAB, which is free.· http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en019469&part=SW007002

Then you program the PIC with something like a PICKIT2 or PICKIT3, which is not free.· http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en538340

Depending on your goals and experience level, you may also want to consider the Parallax Propeller.· It can interface to a PS/2 style keyboard and mouse, just requiring some resistors and software. The learning curve is much steeper than the Stamp's, but may be more suited to your long-term goals.· http://www.parallax.com/tabid/407/Default.aspx

Hope this helped.
    edited 2010-03-08 20:10
    yes, i have the Propstick Beginers Kit, (b-day present) but i have read some of the book and i'm having trouble with it so im useing the BS2 for now, and what is the PIC PICKIT 2 and 3 programing languges like?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·
  • Desy2820Desy2820 Posts: 138
    edited 2010-03-09 02:10
    The programming language doesn't change, you can still use MPLAB.

Unfortunately, I don't have any hands-on experience with PICs.· I was so confused by the different chips, registers, and configuration--I just had no desire to mess with them.

Another popular option seems to be the Arduino.· (I think the most current one is the Duemilanove).· Again, I haven't used this chip, but it seems fairly well supported.· http://www.arduino.cc/

--Glenn