Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp2 and FTDI VDRIV2 — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp2 and FTDI VDRIV2

po2lepo2le Posts: 76
edited 2010-03-07 21:56 in BASIC Stamp
Recently, I bought a FTDI VDRIVE2 (http://www.vinculum.com/documents/datasheets/DS_VDRIVE2.pdf·).
I see from older posts to this forum that folks have been using those devices with [url=mailto:BS@'s]BS2's[/url]·as far back as '07.

I have a BS2, but haven't worked with it for a while; I have to connect it to a serial port on an older computer that I seldom use.

I want to use the VDRIVE2 as a simple data logger, but haven't found how to get that drive operating.

Can someone get me started with a method, perhaps proper wiring procedures, for connecting to and operating with a bs2?· Some coding to get me started?confused.gif
Right now, I've got it hooked up to laptop's hyperterminal via a FTDI serial to·USB converter/programmer, and , nothing goes on.

Is there some software, a driver perhaps, that needs to be down loaded?

Thank you
PO'T

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-07 21:31
    Look at the sample programs for the Parallax Memory Stick Datalogger. It's essentially identical to the VDrive2. The same Stamp programs will work with the VDrive2 and the connections are essentially the same. Parallax has left some of the signals unconnected. You can do the same.

Make sure that CTS# is connected through a 10K or 4.7K resistor to ground (Vss).

If you're using an FTDI adapter, you need to have their USB driver installed which you can get from their website. You also need some kind of terminal emulation program (like Hyperterminal). You should be able to type commands into the laptop and have them acted upon by the VDrive2.
  • po2lepo2le Posts: 76
    edited 2010-03-07 21:56
    Thank you, Mike.
    smile.gif·