Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp and Vex motor modules? — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp and Vex motor modules?

CruchyCruchy Posts: 4
edited 2010-03-07 20:57 in BASIC Stamp
Ok guys I have a question. Im using (required by my class) a parallax processor that comes with a BoeBot kit. I am attempting to control VEX kit motor modules with this processor, however the VEX kit runs on C language. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Comments

• bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-03-07 04:53
    I would not see that as a problem, but then I have written C programs. I would just write one thing in C and the other in PBasic.

Do you have a link to the specific motor controller?

Is it just a motor? Or does it have a controller along with it?

If a controller, does it have a serial connection? Or some way of communicating with it?
  • CruchyCruchy Posts: 4
    edited 2010-03-07 05:02
    Its Just a motor. It uses Pulse width modulations to run, which can be coded in PBasic but for some reason im getting no response from the motor.

I also have Servo Motors to use with it as well.

Here is a link to the motor Im referring to, it has a power, ground and PWM wire.

http://www.vexrobotics.com/products/accessories/motion/276-2163.html
    edited 2010-03-07 05:21
    OK, then you should just need to program in PBASIC.

I searched google.com for the words (including quotes)...

"Vex Motor" pbasic

...and found some information which should be helpful. Here is the link...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=%22Vex+Motor%22+pbasic&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22Vex+Motor%22+pbasic&fp=91fa8dc8225f38ce
    edited 2010-03-07 05:34
    Thank you.

It could all just be in my pulseouts, because i read on there that the servo's didnt respond at 850 only at 1200 or 300.

Apparently people are able to use the two together so it would almost have to be a problem with the program itself.

P.S. Im controlling the entire set-up with a universal remote that I have incorporated into the program via infrared sensor. This wouldnt effect the motors at all would it?
    edited 2010-03-07 16:37
    You can use debug statements to "see" what codes the universal remote is sending.

And you can write a small PBasic program to just make the motors move - for testing.

Then incorporate the two into one program.

The trick is to "isolate" problems with testing. And "see" what values are being sent or stored. Be sure they are what they should be.

Sometimes the problem with something not working··is quite simple. Sending a code in HEX rather than decimal (or other way around). Sending wrong pulse, etc.
    edited 2010-03-07 20:57
    Thanks for the advice.

I first wrote the program for the BoeBot and used the debug statements at that point to program the IR.

Maybe its what you suggested who knows, when I get a chance to test your theories (most likely tomorrow), I'll get back to you.