Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Speaker Compatibility — Parallax Forums

Speaker Compatibility

BoeBotBoeBot Posts: 37
edited 2010-03-06 00:46 in BASIC Stamp
Hello Forum,

I was scavenging through a bunch of old electronics, I came across a speaker with two wires coming out of it. I have attached a picture of the speaker and was wondering if it would be compatible with the Boe Bot, I would have liked to provide more information on the speaker but there is no information on it. It does have a large plus sign on the bottom of it, and is about 2 times bigger than the piezo speaker.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Robert C. Gallagher
640 x 480 - 26K

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-06 00:37
    It's just a small "dynamic" speaker with a clear plastic diaphragm, probably with an 8 Ohm coil impedance and a 50mW power rating. You could use it for noise making if you put a reverse-connected diode across the speaker coil just as you'd do with a relay or small motor, but you won't get significant sound from it without at least a transformer, something with a 500 Ohm or 1K Ohm primary and 8 Ohm secondary. You'd need the diode across the primary, but that's all. RadioShack has a suitable transformer.

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103254
  • BoeBotBoeBot Posts: 37
    edited 2010-03-06 00:46
    Mike, I took a closer look after peeling off a sticker, turns out its a 16 ohm, and says 0.25W which I am assuming is a power rating.

So would this speaker be capable of playing tunes and rhythms?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Robert C. Gallagher