Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using Basic Stamp for industrial — Parallax Forums

Using Basic Stamp for industrial

JoeJoe Posts: 184
edited 2010-03-09 02:43 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I would like to know if the Basic Stamp module BS2-IC is
a better solution instead the Basic Stamp 2 OEM for industrial and why.

What about electronic noise or something like that?

Do you know something ?

Thanks, Joe
PS: Any certificate available?

Comments

• stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-03-05 19:47
    Both will work fine in an industrial situation, although the BS2-IC is available in an industrial temperature range, which could be a consideration.

As with any microcontroller, it will be you as the designer who has to deal things like the physical protection of the device, providing a suitable power supply and protecting the inputs and outputs from over and under voltage and dealing with the current required by the loads. You will also be responsible for having the equipment safety certified for many applications.

Having said all that, I've got Stamp projects running in industrial plants ranging from pulp mills and sawmills to sewage treatment plants and outdoor truck scales to fuel delivery trucks and tree harvesters. Many have been running for over ten years.

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-03-06 20:22
    Joe,

If you haven't already, please see the following new Parallac product, designed to allow any microcontroller to have an Industrial-Type control interface. Best Regards.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/Other/tabid/167/ProductID/658/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2010-03-07 06:08
  • JoeJoe Posts: 184
    edited 2010-03-09 02:10
    Hi,

I read your recomendations, thanks.

I have used the BS2-OEM and some times the rutine stops.
    I have to turn the power off and on the Stamp to continue.

Now , I am using the Parallax IR sensor (code 350-00014 ) from Parallax as
    an input and the outputs
    are two relays with diodes and very opto insolated. ( I added capacitors too )

The power supply is 12 volts ( it is a good electronic regulated powe supply )
    ( Of course the wave of this power supplies is square and not sine curve)

The place where the Basic Stamp OEM is working has electronic noise.
    Some times there is a welder machine working. An always there is a big
    motor at 2 feet.

At home the Basic Stamp 2OEM works very good.

Thanks, Joe
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-03-09 02:43
    What type of enclosure do you have the Basic Stamp in

The welders may be giving your IR sensor a fit.....>>>··That just a thought

I would take out the parts of the code that the IR sensor is doing and see if it still is locking up

I have used the BS2-OEM and some times the rutine stops.
    I have to turn the power off and on the Stamp to continue.

What type of routine are you doing

Have put DEBUG statements in your routines to see where it is stopping

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam

Post Edited (sam_sam_sam) : 3/9/2010 2:51:49 AM GMT
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-11-30 06:12
    Electric arc welders are particularly nasty to work around with any digital equipment. Additional measures certainly are required to avoid problems. This is not just a Basic Stamp problem.

EMI from the arc welders may require a special enclosure for the BasicStamp to shield from EMI, and the AC power into the unit might require a low pass filter to eliminate EMI travelling into the power for the BasicStamp.

The link below is to a paper on how the Canadian nuclear power plants deal with arc welding. Often they just require it to either stay away from sensitive equipment or they only due welding near sensitive equipment when it is powered down. But there are other measures if one must arc weld and operate sensitive equiment at the same time... shielding and filtering.

http://www.google.com.tw/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwig8IqmvrfJAhXGjZQKHfwQCz0QFggpMAE&url=http://www.iaea.org/inis/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/31/006/31006061.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFK53kQdPnPM40sRuHBoBqoo0C8WA
  • Whatever happen to that Bs2 Plc p/n 30063. I guess it is discontinued