Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Resistors? — Parallax Forums

Resistors?

BoeBotBoeBot Posts: 37
edited 2010-03-05 22:31 in BASIC Stamp
I was working on a line following project for my Boe, when I came across the words "2kΩ resistor". What are the 2kΩ resistors, what do they look like (color stripes). The question in the book was, Replace the 1kΩ resistors in series with the ir LEDS with 2kΩ resistor to make the Boe Bot more nearsighted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Robert C. Gallagher

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-04 04:28
    Do a web search for "wiki resistor color code".
  • BoeBotBoeBot Posts: 37
    edited 2010-03-04 04:45
    Thanks a lot Mike!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Change is inevitable - except from a vending machine.

Robert C. Gallagher
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-03-05 05:54
    There is a really cool (and free) Resistor calculator. I can't remember where I got it, but it is called T.A.S.resistor calculator. It is an invaluable tool for resistors.
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-03-05 22:31
    BoeBot the 2K resistor is no big mystery the resistors are made to different values, the color's are how you calculate what the value the first 3 colors are the resistive value the 4th or last is the percentage so say
    you have a brown/black/brown with a gold band for that last color that would be a 100 Ohm resistor and since it has a gold 4th band that would mean 5 percent error in either way for it could be 95 ohm or 105 ohm and it would be within the tolerance of the part

K means 1000
    Meg means 1 million

so your 2k would be red/brown/red I wouldn't worry about the 4th color they are usually gold or silver gold 5 percent silver 10 percent

They guys have good info do a Google search and it will show you how to calculate values using colors and a better description than what I have said.
    In the meantime replace the 1K resistor brown/black/red with the 2K red/black/red and that should get you going