Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help with PINK — Parallax Forums

Help with PINK

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2010-03-04 05:19 in BASIC Stamp
Before I spend money on the PINK I need to find out if it is going to be able to do what I need it to. Is PINK capable of opening IP addresses? What I will need to do is type in an IP address for a device and view the contents of the devices HTML page and input specific settings. I apologize if this does not make sense, so please advise if clarification is needed.

Comments

• Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2010-03-03 05:29
    short answer, no

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-03 05:57
    The PINK is primarily a web server intended to include information supplied by or supplied to the microcontroller attached to it. It's not a general purpose Ethernet device. It can send e-mail to a POP server and it can send and receive UDP messages in addition to serving up web pages. That's all.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-03-03 23:36
    That's what I was afraid of. So, Mike, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable from all the postings I have read through. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I am considerung switching to the propellar because I would need the video access, but without the ability to open a web page my whole idea may be out the window.
    edited 2010-03-03 23:54
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-03-04 05:10
    I will take a look at that option. Anyone have any experience using this with either a BS2SX or Prop chip that can tell me whether or not it will do what I need it to?
    edited 2010-03-04 05:19
    The YBox2 uses a Prop chip to do its internet and TV stuff. The code used is all open source. You will not be able to view the HTML except in source form. Neither the Propeller nor any of the Stamps is capable of viewing formatted HTML. An HTML display engine is much too complex for anything on the scale of either device. If you want that, you'll need to use some sort of embedded Linux controller.