Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bent pin on BS2 — Parallax Forums

Bent pin on BS2

Nick WaldvogelNick Waldvogel Posts: 71
edited 2010-03-14 03:17 in BASIC Stamp
I have a BS2 that the Vin pin is bent. I believe that it got bent when I installed it into a breadboard. It's in pretty bad shape and I'm not able to straiten it out to get it to work again.

Has anyone been able to repair one? Can you solder a new pin in place and if you can, where can you purchase a replacement pin?
I can solder normal thru hole parts but I am unsure of my ability to solder to the BS2. The parts are very small on there......

Does Parallax offer repair for them? What am I looking at for a repair cost if they can repair them?

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2010-03-03 13:29
    With a steady hand you could probably solder a replacement pin. Not sure if it is worth trying to purcase one but you can always make one from a resistor or a capacitor. Use the whole resistor in the beginning and solder a little on the end of the pin before soldering the pin (still with the resistor on) to the BS. Then cut the pin at desire lenght. Maybe do some test soldering first on something and clean the solder iron·before you start.
    Always be careful when installing into breadboards.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-03-03 15:02
    The other thing is that if the pin can't be repaired, the Stamp will work fine by providing regulated 5 volts to the Vdd pin.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Nick WaldvogelNick Waldvogel Posts: 71
    edited 2010-03-03 15:32
    stamptrol said...
    The other thing is that if the pin can't be repaired, the Stamp will work fine by providing regulated 5 volts to the Vdd pin.

Good point, Tom. I forgot about that pin.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-03-03 15:41
    And then follow the advice that was given to me:

Open the Parallax box with your new BASIC STAMP!!! and before doing anything, find a socket to mount it to so you don't damage the pins.

I didn't listen (cause I didn't have a socket on hand) and in the excitement to use my new toy, boogered the pins all up. I was lucky. Now it's mounted in a 24 pin IC socket... so every 20th time I plug the stamp in someting it bends the pins on the socket, not the stamp. The socket's pins are stronger than the stamp anyways.

DigiKey and Mouser have wire wrap sockets that work great in a breadboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • MoskogMoskog Posts: 554
    edited 2010-03-03 17:06
    Spiral_72, yes that is a very good way to keep your stamp from mechanical damage. I have accidently bent pins on some of my stamps too but never as bad that they couldnt be bent back again. Tom is right about the Vin pin, I have never used that pin on my stamps because I always make my own 5V supply for each project. So if you don't depend on that pin you can leave it broken and use a 7805 or something instead, or use the Board of Education. BS2 is powerful but very fragile so never leave it on your desk without some kind of pin-protection.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-03 18:38
    Parallax can repair a broken / damaged pin inexpensively. Give their Tech Support people a call and they'll tell you what it will cost.
  • Nick WaldvogelNick Waldvogel Posts: 71
    edited 2010-03-03 21:10
    Thank you for all the input. I have made contact with Parallax and they are able to remedy the situation. I am going to take Spiral_72 suggestion and hopefully I will never have this kind of problem again.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-03-03 22:38
    Yea, make sure you get the wire wrap sockets for a breadboard...... I ordered ten IC sockets and never considered the lead length.

eyes.gif

.....and they weren't long enough to plug in. stupid.stupid.stupid.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • orendaclorendacl Posts: 44
    edited 2010-03-04 01:25
    I have been finding the occasional bent pin as I am installing my BS2 in a carrier board for programming, then I install it back into my circuit (I skipped breadboarding it). Most of my work is programming (80%). Yes, the pins are sucseptible to damage. I have been extremely careful and eventually bent one to the point of not return and soldered on a thin lead (might have been a resistor, I forget).

Good information reading this post.
  • legoman132legoman132 Posts: 87
    edited 2010-03-13 20:36
    Once, the SOUT pin came off my bs2p and I took a similar one off another disused IC (old EPROM i think) and soldered that on
  • logan996logan996 Posts: 281
    edited 2010-03-14 03:17
    Yea, if you go to electronic goldmine (www.elec-goldmine.com) they sell them for like 50 cents each, and you could get 10 for i think a little under 5$, plus they have a lot of other Smile thats fun for the BS2 too! [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When the government is afraid of the people there is liberty, when the people are afraid of the government, there is tryanny"

· Thomas Jefferson
    ·