Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
quad rotor helicopter — Parallax Forums

quad rotor helicopter

Jeremy072021Jeremy072021 Posts: 12
edited 2011-12-09 01:08 in Robotics
I'm trying to build a completely autonomous helicopter that runs off of the propeller chip and four brushless motors. It will have GPS navigation, image recognition, and speech recognition. Along with gyros and accelerometers for stabilization and multiple ping sensors for indoor flights and increased awareness of objects around it for better mobility. There may be more or less features to this project when its made, but overall, do you think that it will work? Like do you think the propeller chip can handle all of that? or is there any suggestions you have? The project hasn't been started yet, but I'm attempting to get everything figured out and planned before I start to build it.

thank you.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2010-03-02 19:00
    The HexaKopter·guys have it pretty much nailed. Unless you're·a confirmed·expert in aerodynamics, model building & fabrication, R/C helicopters, interfacing sensors, PID control systems, and advanced robotics, you should study exactly what they did for a long time before building anything.

http://vimeo.com/6194911

There are a few threads on this already.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2010-03-02 20:45
    There's also this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=757602
    There's lots of good info about how to get a quadrotor setup working and he uses a propeller chip and shared his code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out the Propeller Wiki·and contribute if you can.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-03-02 22:45
    These quad (multi) rotors are becoming very popular. I'd like to point out however that they are not new. There was a fellow here in the Seattle area that was making kits available last millennium. 1998 or 1999 I think. I believe it was called the UFO and his company was Area 51. I wish I could remember his name...

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Simple Servo Tester, a kit from Gadget Gangster.
  • Jeremy072021Jeremy072021 Posts: 12
    edited 2010-03-03 03:18
    hey thanks for the replies, that hexakopter was very impressive. Ive been referred to a few topics on the forum and they havent helped me much so i just figured i would ask again, and I'll have to look into the kits to see if maybe that will help me decide on what to use.

Thank you again.
  • MikerocontrollerMikerocontroller Posts: 310
    edited 2010-03-03 03:35
    Do you know how to fly RC copters?· You·would have a much more intuitive understanding of what is involved·by learning to·hand ·fly a particular platform first.··· Most helicopters and many fixed-wing aircraft are very unstable and will need constant control corrections.· Maybe you can start by implementing a one or two channel stability augmentation system first.· This is very ambitious even for a dedicated RC'er.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2010-03-08 17:59
    The moment someone comes up with image recognition I will work on a robot that recognizes my face and my voice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

PropellerHead

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2011-12-09 01:08
    W9GFO wrote: »
    These quad (multi) rotors are becoming very popular. I'd like to point out however that they are not new. There was a fellow here in the Seattle area that was making kits available last millennium. 1998 or 1999 I think. I believe it was called the UFO and his company was Area 51. I wish I could remember his name...

Area 51 Technologies was the name of the company. In 1999 Draganfly Innovations started selling it as the HMX-4 Draganflyer.

Still can't remember his name...