Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Operator seat detection using both pir and ultrasonic — Parallax Forums

Operator seat detection using both pir and ultrasonic

azadazad Posts: 4
edited 2011-01-11 02:02 in Accessories
I am designing a SEAT DETECTION SYSTEM FOR OFF-HIGHWAYS TRUCK to detect operator in seat. I need the BEAM PLOT for this particular sensor and more technical information. I also was looking for factors which can effect of detection to check if my designed system works. ANY IDEA FROM WHERE TO GET THESE INFORMATIONS.

Comments

• icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2010-03-02 00:59
    The cats that I used to work on had two switches, one was in the bottom of the seat and the other was in the seat belt latch. The seat switch was an input to the VCM(vehicle control module) which would disable the directional and hydraulic controls if the operator happened to lean over too far. The seat belt switch controlled a really annoying buzzer and warning lights to remind the operator to wear the seat belt, which kept the operator from being bounced out of the seat.
    A seat belt is an OSHA requirement(in the US), fines can be expensive if some one is hurt or killed. I've seen three accidents in 6.5yrs were the operator was killed, investigations aren't fun.
    -dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Arguing with myself--sometimes me, myself, and I don't always agree.
    (Former) Caterpillar product support technician
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2010-03-03 11:08
    Nice to see you join Azad!!

I was thinking, for the PING ultrasonic sensor you could setup a test to determine the envelop of sensing by having the ping be static and methodically moving and charting the results of some device to be sensed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT
    www.tdswieter.com
  • CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2010-03-04 01:47
    In the product documentation there is a smith chart for the sensor. I'd be careful to use allot of averaging on that as the vibration of the vehicle might set off allot of false alarms.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Signature space for rent!
    Send $1 to CannibalRobotics.com.
  • phoenix28phoenix28 Posts: 5
    edited 2011-01-11 02:02
    icepuck wrote: »
    The cats that I used to work on had two switches, one was in the bottom of the seat and the other was in the seat belt latch. The seat switch was an input to the VCM(vehicle control module) which would disable the directional and hydraulic controls if the operator happened to lean over too far. The seat belt switch controlled a really annoying buzzer and warning lights to remind the operator to wear the seat belt, which kept the operator from being bounced out of the seat.
    A seat belt is an OSHA requirement(in the US), fines can be expensive if some one is hurt or killed. I've seen three accidents in 6.5yrs were the operator was killed, investigations aren't fun.

For safety you need seat belt extension perhaps for a stronger and more convenient support. You might need this extra for a larger and bigger people.