Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A/D Converter overheat due to battery wires in close proximity? — Parallax Forums

A/D Converter overheat due to battery wires in close proximity?

jpc1105jpc1105 Posts: 3
edited 2010-03-01 17:21 in BASIC Stamp
Im running a 14.8 volt battery with 30 Amp output for a motor and my basic stamp and speed controller wires are all in close proximty to the heavy battery wires going to the motor.

Ive been running my motor for a while, but then after recharging the battery, the signal began to jump around and now my A/d converter basically overheated a (expletive) load.

Do you think the high amps from the battery wire interfered with the analog signal coming in from my speed controller? ...which is a little force sensor.

If so, how do I isolate the wires? just more insolation?

Please help!

Thanks.

Comments

• bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-03-01 07:38
    Batteries can get to be quite warm when recharging. Wires should not get warm if you are using a large enough gauge wire.
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-03-01 17:21
    If you are running that kind of power, I'd say it's likely. Can you put the electronics in a metal box and tie it to earth ground? At the minimum tie it to 0V.

Motors are very noisy. VERY noisy. I had a pencil sharpener next to my laptop once. When I sharpened a pencil the computer would go nuts and lock up...... motors.... they noisy [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.