Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Running BASIC STAMP-1 from a POCKET_COMPUTER 'HP Jornada 720 under Pocket_DOS — Parallax Forums

Running BASIC STAMP-1 from a POCKET_COMPUTER 'HP Jornada 720 under Pocket_DOS

lifterwwlifterww Posts: 2
edited 2010-03-04 18:26 in BASIC Stamp
··············· I found an old Parallax DOS·Program "STAMP"-EDITOR·which runs inside HANDheld,Jornada 720,
under POCKET_DOS operating System...

I can LOAD small stamp1 programs into editor.
However I can NOT connect Built-In SERIAL rs232 COM1 Port of the HANDheld computer
to the STAMP_Board where External circuit is wired··.!...?
···············
··············· If I can succeed .I do not need a large LAPTOP an USB connection....

Comments

• mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-02-28 22:38
    Lifterww cool how about sharing? I bought one of those tiny pocket PC, Psion NetBook Pro running Windows CE it has an Arm processor and its supposed to be able to run a version of Linux . IT has USB ports and I bought a very expensive cable for it that has an RS-232

But no matter what I can not get my BS2 editor or even my Prop Tool stuff to work I even tried Brads BST it looked like it would almost work but then it just hung up

If you or anyone knows if we could use the basic stamp editor with this it would be awesome
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2010-03-01 01:26
    @Lifterww
    Serial port comm problems seems to be the norm with parallax software when trying to run on something other than windows.
    The following is were I tried to document some of the things I've tried to do.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=880300
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=882691

@mikedev
    Debian has support for Arm cpu's. Google for your winCE device to see if anyone else has installed debian
    on it.
    -dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Arguing with myself--sometimes me, myself, and I don't always agree.
    (Former) Caterpillar product support technician
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2010-03-01 02:00
    Thanks icepuck I am surprised that no one else has wanted to try and get the Stamp or the prop chip IDE to run on a pocket device it would be awesome to be able to run the basic stamp editor on my Axim or pocket PC sitting an airplane it would be much easier
    I don't know about anyone else but I have had so many laptops my latest is a 1900 dollars Dell laptop its just awesome but eh damn battery lasts about 30 minutes if I am lucky when it was new it used to last for over an hour now 30 minutes every single laptop I have ever owned has done the exact same thing the batteries just do not last and watch a movie Huh right maybe a 10 minute trailer ,,,,lol sorry but I Am serious I have a Dell Axim and a Compaq pocket PC I wish I could run the stamp editor Oh thank you for the links
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-03-01 03:54
    As a CE developer, I can tell you the OS is completely different.
    You'll need an Editor and driver specific to CE or some effort
    to develop a version patch. I would be surprised if the original
    Editor with program fit into memory. As I recall, there was a
    song and dance required for graphics and getting word
    compatibility using different ce extensions. You'll probably need
    to go custom on this or have some good luck with Google.
    Considering the small size of an EEE PC Netbook with
    its full compatibility, and the low cost investment - far less
    cost than a Pocket PC, it would be a good contender.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Stamp SEED Supercomputer *Basic Stamp Supercomputer *TriCore Stamp Supercomputer
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Three Dimensional Computer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *Penguin Tech *StampOne News! *Penguin Robot Society
    *Handbook of BASIC Stamp Supercomputing
    *Ultimate List Propeller Languages
    *New Prop Computer - coming soon!
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2010-03-01 04:50
    My guess was that the basic stamp editor was using a non-standard way of handling the serial data over the way other windows software that use a serial port. Teraterm and realterm work the same in WINE as they do in windows. That goes to show that the problem is with the software.
    A basic stamp editor running on an android device(or google phone) would be really cool.
    -dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Arguing with myself--sometimes me, myself, and I don't always agree.
    (Former) Caterpillar product support technician
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-03-01 13:21
    An alternative for the hand-held solution is to get an old HP 100LX or HP 200LX. Still popular on e-bay.

They of course only run the DOS version of the editor in gray scale, but the installation is very simple and the serial port works as expected (other than the HP end of the serial cable).

A more up to date (and same $$$) way is a mini notebook ( eeePC, Dell-mini, etc, etc).

Cheers,

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-03-04 18:26
    This thread is being moved from the Completed Projects Forum where it is off topic, to the BASIC Stamps forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·