Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Find/Replace bug in BS Editor? — Parallax Forums

Find/Replace bug in BS Editor?

gallengallen Posts: 6
edited 2010-03-03 21:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

Sometimes when I attempt to use the "Find/Replace..." function in the Basic Stamp Editor application, the Find/Replace dialog window won't appear. This occurs whether I chose "Find/Replace..." from the edit menu or press the button on the taskbar. I can close the program and reopen it, and it the Find/Replace dialog box still won't appear. As I remember, restarting the computer will usually make it start working again. I can't seem to repeat any procedure that causes the issue. Has anyone else seen this? Do you know a fix, or the cause so I can avoid doing it?

By the way, I am currently running a 32-bit VMware Vista virtual machine on a Macbook Pro. But I also had the same issue with 2 different Lenovo T61's running 32-bit Vista. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, I should note that this happens about 10-20% of the times I open the program.

Comments

• Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-02-26 20:05
    Weird. I've not noticed that and used the F/R function on occasion..... a PC though running XP.

I have had similar problems in Windows in general. The "missing" box was just off the screen and barely enough showing for me to drag and resize it enough to move it back on the screen.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • gallengallen Posts: 6
    edited 2010-02-26 21:19
    Thanks for the reply. I'm glad it's not only me. Actually, yes, I have seen that where it shows up so i can just barely see a corner of the pop-up just off the screen. In those cases I've had to change screen resolution so I can pull it back to center-screen. I'm guessing that the issue may be due to the pop-up appearing completely off screen.

It's not a huge deal, but it can be pretty annoying if you're in the middle of something and having find/replace would make life easier. For instance, in a complicated program when you want to find all the places where you're calling a particular subroutine. Or if you change a variable/constant name and want to make sure you've replaced it completely throughout the program.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2010-02-28 00:07
    I run into the disappearing dialog problem on a PC/XP, but not (or very seldom) on an old Windows 98 machine. I also have frequently seen the program download window freeze, more often on the more recent PC, as described in this thread.. When that happens I have to download the program a second time and the window usually unfreezes.

On a Mac, MacBS2 has a standard search/replace along with its nice way of handling multi-slot projects as entities with their own window and tabs. And for more complicated search and replace there are text utilities like "textWrangler" that can do GREP search/replace. I know, it is a pain to move back and forth between different programming environments. MacBS2 is nice for editing, but it misses the memory map, the DEBUG window, place markers, and downloading of individual slots that are in the standard Windows IDE.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2010-02-28 07:03
    I'm running a dual-monitor PC w/XP Home. When I start the Editor, it opens in the right monitor. Selecting Find/Replace, its menu shows up in the left-side monitor. If I had one monitor it would definitely "disappear"!.

It would seem that the default position of the Find/Replace menu is NOT set to "center of parent app".

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 757
    edited 2010-03-01 22:03
    Hi,

I haven't seen this problem myself, though I've seen plenty of strange problems with dialogs appearing behind an application (these seemed to start happening with the release of Windows XP and future versions).

If it is happening because your screen resolution has changed, or you've·removed a monitor or undocked a laptop from a multi-monitor setup·or something similar, then here's a workaround you can try to resolve it.·

NOTE: The steps below make changes to your Windows registry.· Please procede carefully and if you are unsure about making registry changes, it's best to err on the side of caution and have someone else do it for you.
    1. Close any instances of the BASIC Stamp Editor you may be running.
    2. Open up the Windows Registry Editor (regedit) by Start -> Run, typing "regedit" (without the quotes) in the Open field and clicking OK.
    3. In Regedit, navigate to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ParallaxInc\Stamp\2.4 key and select it in the left pane of regedit.·
      1. Note: the 2.4 may be 2.2 or some other value depending on which version of the BASIC Stamp editor you are using; this value doesn't always match the version exactly, but rather, the largest value in the Stamp key is the active key for the latest version of the editor you are using on your computer.
    4. In the right pane of regedit, find the value called "FindReplacePos", then select it and delete it.
    5. Restart the BASIC Stamp Editor.
    6. Open up the BASIC Stamp Editor's Find/Replace dialog.· It should now appear centered in within the monitor where the editor window appears.
      1. Every time the BASIC Stamp Editor runs, it reads it's registry settings, and if there's a setting that is missing, it uses a default value for that setting and regenerates that setting upon closing.

I've made notes of this problem and will add some code to move the Find/Replace dialog within a viewable area to the BASIC Stamp Editor.· If that is indeed·the problem, this solution will fix it in a future release of the BASIC Stamp Editor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Jeff Martin (Parallax)) : 3/1/2010 10:08:47 PM GMT
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2010-03-02 05:29
    Mr. Martin - THANK YOU!

I followed your well-written directions, and now the F/R dialog opens center screen.

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2010-03-02 17:20
    Hey man, how's that for service!!??!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "puff"...... Smile, there went another one.
  • gallengallen Posts: 6
    edited 2010-03-03 21:30
    Thanks a bunch Jeff!