Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
bs2 4-20ma — Parallax Forums

bs2 4-20ma

TobiasTobias Posts: 95
edited 2010-03-13 05:34 in BASIC Stamp
What is the best way to get a value on a bs2 from a transducer with a 4-20ma output? I have a ad converter working with a 1-6 volt output transducer, what is your plan?

Thanks, Tobyhop.gif

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2010-02-25 05:31
    A 250 Ohm resistor converts 4--20mA to 1--5 Volts, then to same AD converter as your other transducer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • TobiasTobias Posts: 95
    edited 2010-02-25 06:23
    I can follow you through the math and theroy could you also provide a schematic for the hookup and the output wire.

Thanks, Toby
    edited 2010-02-25 07:04
    Stamp with ADC                                                      
    Power  (12 Volts?)               ----> 4-20 mA
     O--------------------------------------------------------------o
                                                                                       |
       ADC input                                                              ------------       
     O---------------;                                                         sensor 
                           |                                                       -----------   
             250Ω      |                                                           |
     O-----/\/\/\----o----------------------------------------------o
     Common                          <-------- loop current          
          resistor converts 
         4-20 mA
         into 1 to 5 Volts for ADC

This is for a loop powered transducer. Some transducers have their own power supply and simply produce the 4-20 mA on a pair of output wires.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2010-03-07 05:30
    I have a trancducer with a red wire which is 24v and a black wire which is ground and the green wire is 4-20ms output do I put in a 150 ohm resistor inline to ground a read of the voltage from the input end of the resistor?

Thanks, Toby
    edited 2010-03-07 17:07
    Hi Toby,

You are probably correct. That is a typical 3-wire 4--20 circuit. If you use 150 Ohms, the output voltage will be 0.6--3.0 V. With 250 Ohms, it will be 1--5 V.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2010-03-11 03:44
    I have a 12volt power supply and a volt meter with a 4-20ma output transducer and a 250ohm resistor can anybody tell me how to hook up the circuit and get a voltage read out?

Thanks, Toby
    edited 2010-03-11 17:09
    If it is a loop powered transducer:
    +12 ---[noparse][[/noparse]transducer]---A----/\/\/\----B---- battery common
    ...resistor is 250 Ohms, connect voltmeter(-) common to B, voltmeter(+) to A.
    ...voltmeter can be Stamp ADC(-) and ADC(+)

If it is a separately powered transducer:
    +12----------|transducer power|-------A---/\/\/\-----B---,
                                                 |---------------------------'---   battery common

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2010-03-12 14:08
    What do I do with the signal output wire?
    edited 2010-03-12 17:31
    Hi Tobias,

If you have three wires, they will (probably) be power, signal and common. In that case follow the second diagram above with the 250 Ohm resistor and the signal output wire is the point "A" in the diagram. You use your voltmeter or Stamp with ADC to measure the voltage across the resistor. The resistor converts V = I * 250, that is, 4-20 mA to 1-5 Volts. It is really quite simple!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-03-13 05:34
    Toby

I work with 4-20ma Transmitters all day long.What Tracy Allen suggested should work.
    Some transmitters will only take so much current.Adding and another 250 ohm resister might help.

Is Your transmitter smart? Hart,MODBUS,etc.

Do You have some specs for Your Transmitter?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA