Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller and USB — Parallax Forums

Propeller and USB

Chip CoxChip Cox Posts: 73
edited 2010-02-26 20:20 in Accessories
I'm wanting to hook up my propeller to a usb hub to allow it to communicate with various other devices which I would have to write some type of driver for the propeller for I expect.· My question is more about the hardware.· I really don't want to use the programming USB port for this.· I'm not sure if it would work either.· So what do I need to use?· Will the Memory Stick Datalogger serve as a USB to normal serial converter for this type of connectivity?·· So for example, what would I need to hook up a USB keyboard and mouse instead of the PS2 ports available on the board?

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2010-02-26 00:56
    Chip, connecting to USB is not a simple task. That is why it is usually done using a chip such as the FTDI one used for the prop plug. Even then it is used as a USB to serial adapter. I am not even sure if the prop would be fast enough to handle the low speed USB data rate. There is no reason you could not use the programming port to input and output data though. I am not sure it will work through a USB hub (although I see no reason it wouldn't) so I would try that using the prop plug and PST first.
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2010-02-26 20:20
    Chip,
    If you are wanting to connect other USB devices, you might want to look at the datalogger. It functions as a USB host. I have used it to connect a HID, specifically a joystick, to a BS2. With it's memory and speed, the Propeller should be able to read it easily.

My notes are at:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=870754