Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EEPROM Dump Utility? — Parallax Forums

EEPROM Dump Utility?

bill190bill190 Posts: 769
edited 2010-02-28 10:33 in BASIC Stamp
Is there a utility program I can use to dump the memory from the EEPROM on my homework board?

Note that "Memory Map" just shows the program on your pc and not the actual memory from the homework board.

I am writing programs, which when run, modify the memory in the EEPROM. So I want to see what is going on with the EEPROM after my program has run.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-23 20:51
    There is no utility to dump the EEPROM. In fact, the only way to dump the contents of the EEPROM is to include that function in your program or download a new program to the EEPROM (overwriting your program) that does it. It's usually more useful to have a specific program or program function that formats your data in a useful fashion.

A simple program to dump all of memory to the debug window of the Stamp Editor would be:
    address var word
    mydata var byte
    for address = 0 to 2047
       read address,mydata
       debug hex3 address, " ", hex2 mydata,cr
    next

Making it look pretty and more compact "is an exercise for the reader".
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-02-23 20:52
    Here is a program that dumps "most" of EEPROM. It will overwrite part of the program that resides there, though. But, if all you're interested in is the lower-addressed data area, it might do what you want.

-Phil
  • bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-02-23 21:17
    I can see!

That works great. Thanks guys!
  • bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-02-28 10:33
    Here are a couple of EEPROM dump programs I modified so they list the addresses in hex on each line to the left like the·Basic·Stamp·editor Memory Map.

One of the attached displays in HEX.

The other displays in ASCII characters, but only·if the value is 32 decimal or higher. Below that value and it displays a ".".· (Those are control characters and they will make the screen go haywire if displayed on the screen!)