Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Speaking of Retro — Parallax Forums

Speaking of Retro

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2010-02-19 00:00 in Propeller 1
How many vacuum tubes would it take to
build the equivalent of one Propeller chip?
I envision a kind of retro science fair project
for pure hobby and fun. Seems a good
question for all those vintage ham radio
old timers that are "hybrid" with the Prop.

humanoido

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-02-17 18:36
    With enough vacuum tubes to emulate a Propeller, the burnout rate would be faster than you could replace them. This was a huge problem for the Eniac, which had orders of magnitude fewer tubes to contend with. And then there's the "small" issue of power requirements and heat removal.

-Phil
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2010-02-17 18:43
    Why not write an emulator for one of those old valve computers, running on a Propeller, and emulate the Propeller on that? smile.gif

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2010-02-17 18:53
    I don't know, but that would be a great project !
    Ha, Ha, I love the good old days.
    I have a tube radio docking station for my Ipod and I love it, playing with tubes are fun !
    Here is a pic of a similar type I have. I could not find the model I have on there site. It was given to me as a Christmas present in 08.
    Here is the link: http://www.acoustic-research.com/homedecor/HomeDecorProductDetail.do?ACTION_TYPE_ID=ACTION_TYPE_PRODUCT_DETAIL&ACTION_CATEGORY_ID=STR_SEARCH_RESULT&search=tube &ACTION_PRODUCT_ID=AV100C

Post Edited (Rob7) : 2/17/2010 7:01:12 PM GMT
    500 x 500 - 133K
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,253
    edited 2010-02-17 19:00
    Leon, you are funny.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2010-02-17 19:43
    Phil said...
    With enough vacuum tubes to emulate a Propeller, the burnout rate would be faster than you could replace them. This was a huge problem for the Eniac, which had orders of magnitude fewer tubes to contend with. And then there's the "small" issue of power requirements and heat removal.

I remember my old Stewart Warner tube radio, Knight Kit Star Roamer, and tube built ham radio gear, and I think those tubes lasted a relatively long time. It would be no problem to stock some spares and replace any burned out ones. It's just like running a light bulb. It's not going to last forever.

Heat removal? Oh, I would run it only in winter so that can be a good thing. Position it in a skyscraper in the dead of winter and the bonus spinoff technology is free heat for all 75 floors! That's going to make everyone happy when their heat bill never arrives! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

humanoido
    edited 2010-02-17 19:50
    If the average tube lifetime is 5000 hours, and you have a radio with five tubes, you will, on average, have to replace a tube every 1000 hours of operation. With a million tubes, you will have to locate and replace 200 tubes an hour. This would affect your throughput a little, I think.

-Phil
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2010-02-17 20:17
    The floors directly above the tube stack would be OK for desert dwellers and the heat taper would suit all races as you went up and up.

I always wonder why there isn't a law that states that the heat wasted from the power station cooling stacks has to be piped around to the local comunities. Just up the road from here is an eight pot cloud generator.

Some of the transmitter stations I used to work at had meters on the walls showing the MWs incoming (and most of the outgoing was just propaganda!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Style and grace : Nil point
  • Kal_ZakkathKal_Zakkath Posts: 72
    edited 2010-02-17 21:01
    Toby Seckshund said...
    I always wonder why there isn't a law that states that the heat wasted from the power station cooling stacks has to be piped around to the local comunities
    Or better yet, reclaim it to make even more electricity: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070603225026.htm
  • hairymnstrhairymnstr Posts: 107
    edited 2010-02-17 23:32
    I think MTBF for Vacuum tubes is lower when continuously running like in computers, it's all the heating-cooling that causes the damage. That's not to say that it is practical to build a modern complexity computer with them but that's why computers using tubes were possible at all, if they had the same failure rate as in radios then they never would have got anywhere.

Anyway, wasn't the electro-mechanical relay used before the vacuum tube? I have a 4 bit adder circuit somewhere, trouble is it's about a foot square, I think a single 32 bit ALU would take most of a house let alone 8 of them.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-02-18 00:19
    My guess is was that the prop has 1M transistors. Lets look at it.

SRAM: 32KB + 8*2KB = 48 * 8 Kbits = 393,216 bits. A ram cell takes 6 transistors = 2.4M transistors

ROM: 32KB = 32* 8 Kbits = 262,144 bits. A rom takes 1 or 2 transistors?? = 0.26M or 0.52M transistors

CPU: 8 * 32 bit processor and counters. My best guess (no idea really) = 1M transistors

IO, etc: Estimate = 0.1M transistors

So I am way off on my original guess as this is around 4 million transistors.

Now, a valve (vacuum tube) is 1 transistor, so we have 4 million valves.

The minimum space for a simple valve would be 1"sq disregarding heat dissipation.

So, we now have 4,000,000"sq of space without wiring and power supplies and access walkways. This is about 28,000 sq ft.

Assuming we house them in racks 8ft high (8ft usable plus rack height), we have 3,500 lineal feet of racks which is over 0.6 mile long.

Now if we are really ambitious we would have them in 50ft long bays... so 70 bays x 50ft

We will require mobile electric lifts with an OH&S chair for the operator to change his 50x8 foot bay of 57,000 tubes (forget the valve computer to run this LOL)

Based on Phil's calculations, we will be replacing 200 * 4 = 800 tubes an hour. Presuming we have a consistent dispersement of failures, each bay will experience 800 / 70 = 11.4 tube replacements per hour or more precisely, 1 every 5 minutes.

Now, if we run the cpu for 8 hours a day, we require 800 * 8 = 6,400 valves per day. Now where are we going to store the replacements and how are we going to handle shipping in and out 6,400 valves per day. If we run 24 hours per day, then almost 20,000 valves per day !!!

Next, we have 800 failures an hour = 13.3 per minute = 1 failure every 4.5 seconds.

And we haven't even discussed time to diagnose which valve is faulty. And while we are doing that, we are having compounding failures disrupting our diagnosis.

Houston, we have a problem mad.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-18 00:36
    You guys!

I went to undergraduate school where they used Univac computers (www.fourmilab.ch/documents/univac/case1107.html). They also had a Univac I that had better up-time than the transistorized Univac 1107 shown in the link. Partly that was due to redundancy. I think there were essentially 3 arithmetic units that voted on their output.

There's no way you'd even try to do the memory with active devices. One you'd implemented the memories with core or disk or drum memory, that'd cut down the number of valves needed substantially (and the speed too). Doing 8 x 32-bit arithmetic units with barrel-shifters would be tough enough.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2010-02-18 01:36
    Tubes cost way too much.
    In 1989 I could still get them new at Radio Shack for $15, now they would be over $50 each.
    If you live near a neon or glass art shop, it may be worth it to make your own.
    But nobody wants to make a computer out of them.

Vacuum Fluorescent Displays are so tube-like that they may have alternate uses as tube integrated circuits.
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2010-02-18 01:42
    Start with something simple like this: www.engadget.com/2006/06/26/all-tube-digital-clock-seven-years-in-the-making/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
    edited 2010-02-18 02:02
    Cluso, that is not the way to do it. Let's take a lesson from the old days as Mike suggests:

We use rotating magnetic drum for the HUB memory. With modern engineering it must be possible to get 8192 times 32 bit words on there.

We us magnetic core store for the COGs registers. They are not so big.

That only leaves the compute parts in tubes.

Now here is the magic part. The drum memory has 8 sets of read/write heads equally spaced around it. One for each COG. Bingo! We have a "mechanical hub". No extra logic required.

So how many tubes are we down to now? Given the simple and regular nature of the COG instructions this looks quite doable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AJMAJM Posts: 171
    edited 2010-02-18 02:04
    While they may not be useful for computers, I still know some people who swear by them for audio power amplifiers.
    edited 2010-02-18 03:24
    Magnetic Drums...

Well the·magnetic drums·that our overseas·Telecom (OTC in those days) used in the early 70's for storing and forwarding telexes were about 4ft x 4ft x 10ft. They had two and two Univac computers. One was always hovering after the other waiting for a crash so it could take over. Then came the crash dump via the Univac 1004 printer. Then it was a manual bootstrap entry by switches to get a mini program entered that would boot the next level from paper tape which then loaded the real program from punched cards·via the Univac 1004. IIRC booting took about 30 minutes and you hoped the other computer stayed up longer than that smilewinkgrin.gif

I think both core memory and magnetic drums are cheating. The Magnetic Drum could be substituted for our microSD card and the core memory could be substituted for our external SRAM. But hey, it's retro days, and they did not exist!!!

Note to self: Get your head out of the clouds and back to real prop stuff cry.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

· Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2010-02-18 04:16
    Cluso,
    I was in the Ontario area last week and saw a new 100,000 ft sq building for rent.
    With an unlimited budget, when do we start !
    edited 2010-02-18 05:24
    Rob7: My valve days are long gone... although they did have one advantage... you could see them !!!

My last valve project was rebuilding my 2m FM transmitter in 1970. I used a FET front-end receiver and as my electronics teacher used to say, a fet is only a valve without the pilot light LOL.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2010-02-18 08:38
    Phil said...
    If the average tube lifetime is 5000 hours, and you have a radio with five tubes, you will, on average, have to replace a tube every 1000 hours of operation. With a million tubes, you will have to locate and replace 200 tubes an hour. This would affect your throughput a little, I think.
    I had just under 50 tubes in operation - the am radio was on
    over 8 hours a day, the ham radio gear left on most of the day,
    the various SWL radios on about 2 to 4 hours a day, the amps
    were on about an hour to two hours a day, and overall
    there was not one single tube replaced in ten years!

If each new tube will last 5,000 hours, then it does not matter
    how many tubes you have, they will all last 5,000 hours from the
    time they are switched on (defects aside). For example,
    use our retro computer for 5,000 hours before replacing tubes,
    and fire it up one hour per day, say 3 times a week, with 52
    weeks in a year, thats 156 times of use per year which equals
    a mere 156 hours, which will give us 32 years of use.

For a hobby retro computer project using tubes, IMO, 32 years
    of tube operation time is more than I personally need.

Even if you cut this figure by five times, it will still run for six years
    before you need to replace tubes.

humanoido
    edited 2010-02-18 08:59
    Don't forget that you can get two triodes (etc) in one envelope.

So thats everything sorted out on the space issues, but it's just doubled the chances of a failure.

Yeah, bored at work. Not 51 anymore cry.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-02-18 09:15
    Humanoido "If each new tube will last 5,000 hours, then it does not matter how many tubes you have, they will all last 5,000 hours from the time they are switched on"

Sadly, that is not how things work. Ever hear of the "bath tub" curve? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Think of tube failures more like radio active decay, you can never tell when they will go off.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-02-18 09:57
    @ heater:

It was discussion about a theoretical " defects aside" at first for the 5,000 time frame.
    Next, considering these tubes are like light bulbs and not exactly predictable
    when they will go off, you can see it was divided - 5,000 hours by five to
    compensate for these anomalies. Yes, absolutely we can never predict when one
    will go off in the real world. One suggestion is going with military spec
    which pre-stresses the part to assure greater predicted longevity.

I would also suggest, after the tubes are purchased, they could be put through
    a jig that can do stress induction, to weed out the failures ahead of time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Standard

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 2/18/2010 10:12:36 AM GMT
    edited 2010-02-18 10:03
    Pre-stressed, mil spec, ...

I fear a buget overspend ...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-02-18 14:21
    Toby:

no problem, we'll brew up a batch of our own tubes...
    remember that glass blowing kit we got as a kid?
    We can put that knowledge to good use..

humanoido
    edited 2010-02-18 14:34
    Yeah that would work.

When the vacuum was required we could put the valve up to our lips whilst somebody told us the price that Farnell and RS want for the Props here in the UK. With such a sharp intake of breath we would be picking bits of gettering out of our teeth.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2010-02-18 14:46
    hahahahaha... still not enough vacuum to remove the air in them... Just add a couple of monster cables (they sound better) and you are done !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Visit some of my articles at Propeller Wiki:
    MATH on the propeller propeller.wikispaces.com/MATH
    pPropQL: propeller.wikispaces.com/pPropQL
    pPropQL020: propeller.wikispaces.com/pPropQL020
    OMU for the pPropQL/020 propeller.wikispaces.com/OMU
    pPropellerSim - A propeller simulator for ASM development sourceforge.net/projects/ppropellersim
    edited 2010-02-18 15:22
    The ENIAC contained 17,468 vacuum tubes. It averaged a tube failure every two days. The longest it went without a failure was five days. Ref: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC.

If you think you want to handcraft your own tubes, be sure to watch this video first:

····www.dailymotion.com/video/x3wrzo_fabrication-dune-lampe-triode_tech.

Making a million of them could take awhile.

-Phil
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2010-02-18 15:39
    Phil,

That is one of my all time favorite videos. That is dedication - its nuts - but its dedication.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2010-02-18 16:00
    Phil: very informative video. It took 15 minutes to watch one tube being made. At the hobby level, figure 30 minutes per tube. For one person working alone, the one million tubes would take a mere 30 million minutes. That's 500,000 hours or 20,833 days working around the clock, which equates to 57 years. (I did not figure in time for eating, sleeping, and going to the toilet - there is a reason for this) Now, there are 18,616 Parallax Forum registered members and an estimated one million unregistered enthusiasts. That comes out to about 15 minutes of work for each person. Since the intelligent people must take up the work of slackers and jokers, that would be an actual half hour of work per person. I suggest putting in a full hour of work to double the number of tubes (to two million), since it's shown that some replacements are needed.

humanoido
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2010-02-18 16:07
    I also love that video but I do wish he would buy some tin snips! I bet most of his kit is homemade too! Great to watch.

Graham