Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS & TxT 2 Speech.?? — Parallax Forums

GPS & TxT 2 Speech.??

TJWTJW Posts: 5
edited 2010-03-13 17:05 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to give verbal directions with the text to speech using a GPS module.

The programing part is killing me.
I was trying to use Select and Case commands?

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-17 04:28
    If you want help, you have to give more information like which GPS module you're using and what text to speech device you're using. It would help to post your code as an attachment to another message and an explanation of what works so far and what happens when it doesn't work. Have you gotten the GPS module to work by itself and have you gotten the text to speech device to work?
  • TJWTJW Posts: 5
    edited 2010-02-18 23:36
    I am using the Emic Text to Speech module (Female) and the GPS receiver module. And we are using the Bs2 stamp
    The code I was working with is attached.
    *I was using the debug first and when it worked I was going to replace debug with the Text to speech commands.

We have ran the demo for both sensor and both function correctly. I noticed there is a Raw mode option, but I don't think that format of the GPS's information is what we need.
    GPS is connected to P15 and our Text 2 Speech is connected as the following: SIN = P0 , SOUT = P1, Busy = 2, AIN = P7, AReset = P12

Thanks for the help!

Post Edited (TJW) : 2/18/2010 11:51:45 PM GMT
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-02-19 01:37
    TJW,

Does the code work as expected or what is the code currently doing or not doing? Is this all of the program? resaon I ask is that I dont see the EMIC routines; do you have that portion working already?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2010-02-19 01:45
    I was not planing on adding the EMIC routines until I had it working with the Debug. I guess I can add them now. I was just toying before I added them.

It currently Says that my destination is south west of me but when I look at the Lat. and Long.
    It should say that the Destination is north of me and my Latitude matches because when I ran the demo GPS 1.1 demo my Lat was exact but my long was lower than my destination. About .4 seconds off if I remember correctly.

And yes that is all of the program I have done so far.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-02-19 01:51
    Sounds good, let me see if I get the same results with a known LONG/LAT using this program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2010-02-19 02:01
    Thanks. Also, seconds come in as a decimal but the Basic stamp will not recognize a decimal so i was wondering how to include decimal seconds.

... And I think my problem is MindutesD... The GPS gives Degrees minutes and decimal minutes(minutesD)... I think I need to convert that to seconds but not too sure how to manipulate it.
    edited 2010-02-19 22:16
    OK. I think i have everything the way it should be. However, it wont repeat what it says. I wanted the directions repeated every certain time interval.
    New Code is below. EMIC says it once and then stops.
  • RuefyRuefy Posts: 3
    edited 2010-03-13 16:49
    Hi all.
    Is it possible to implement a short delaytime between 2 text passage i.e. [noparse][[/noparse]say, " Volt ", 0.5 sec delay, " Amp ",EOM]

Thanks foar any help

Daniel
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-03-13 17:01
    There doesn't appear to be any way to insert silence or a delay into a spoken sequence. The best you could do would be to change the volume to its minimum setting and insert a sequence of phonemes (like vowels) that has a low energy content, then set the volume back to your normal setting.
  • bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-03-13 17:05
    As to just saying once...

I don't have time to look at your code. But in general, if you want to see if your program is executing certain lines of code, you can stick in simple DEBUG test messages.

DEBUG "here1"

DEBUG "here2"

DEBUG "here3"

Etc.

Then you can see these messages pop up and see that the program is getting to those points. Or if a message does not pop up, see that the program is never getting to that point.

As to the module not saying something twice. You can also try a separate test program which tries to say something twice and not rely on your input. See if the way you are telling it to say these things would work in that manner.

And the inputs you get can be output to the screen with debug messages as well.

The trick is to "isolate" problems. Do isolated testing to see if something *can* work that way. And "see" what is happening with the program while it is executing. DEBUG can allow you to "see" what is going on - if a statement is executing or not - what the values of something is.