Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is it ok to use 6 Volts Dc and 1.5 Amps on Basic Stamp 2 and servos — Parallax Forums

Is it ok to use 6 Volts Dc and 1.5 Amps on Basic Stamp 2 and servos

SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
edited 2010-02-13 11:20 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi guys
I am making Robot arm so my problem is my·Old adapter shakehead.gif got fried some how jumpin.gif which was 6 volts DC adapter and gives out 800 amps which i bought from THE Source·store and i am a student so i have question for smart people plz be smartt dont be dumb nono.gif if you dont know please dont reply because of your mistake my 4 servos and basic stamp 2 would fry. I am now thinking to get 6 volt dc adapter with 1.5 amps what you guys think is it ok to buy···· 6 v DC with 1.5 amps yeah.gif adapter for basic stamp 2 and 4 servo motors i ha seen this adapter on HVW tech website i am connecting all together on bread board. Please reply quickly if you the answer. Ok

Comments

• SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
    edited 2010-02-11 01:27
    Sorry old one was 6 v DC adapter with 800 Milliamps not 800 amps sorry.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-11 01:31
    A Stamp and servos should work well with a 6V power supply. How much current your setup needs depends on the mechanical load and how many servos are moving at the same time. One servo under high mechanical load can draw around 1A. A lightly loaded servo will typically draw about 1/4A. An idle servo will draw quite a bit less. A Stamp will draw tens of mA.

Servos are designed to work with power supplies from around 4.5V to around 7.2V with some excess brush wear at the higher voltages. 6V is just about right.

Stamps are designed to work with power supplies from 6V to 9V (if you're using the built-in regulator and Vin). You can also use a regulated 5V supply (directly to Vdd) as an alternative.

Servo motors generate a lot of electrical noise on their power leads (and the control lead as well). You can run a Stamp and some servos off the same supply, but you should add some filtering near the Stamp and near the servos. A 1000uF 16V capacitor within a few inches of the Stamp and another close to the servos would be great.
    edited 2010-02-11 02:30
    Thanks for the reply Sir

So sir you mean that i can use 6 v dc which gives 1.5 amps. If i am using basic stamp 2·and 4 servos. But before i was using 6 v dc adapter which gives 800 amps.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-11 02:39
    What I mean is that you have to figure out how much current you need and I gave you some information you can use to figure that out. The best source of this sort of information is the datasheet for the specific model of servo that you're using. The datasheet will typically give the amount of current when the servo is idle, when it's moving under a light mechanical load, and when it's stalled (can't move, but it's trying). A 1.5A supply may be enough for a Stamp and 4 servos or it may not be enough. It all depends on what the servos are doing and only you can answer that.
    edited 2010-02-13 11:20
    Thanks for the help i got it working with 6 v dc and 1000 milliamps or u can say 1 amp thanks sir for the help.