Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
QTI sensor With Stamp bug — Parallax Forums

QTI sensor With Stamp bug

1alph11alph1 Posts: 2
edited 2010-02-11 15:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hey guys, Im having problems working out how to connect a QTI line sensor unit to my Stamp bug, all the information·I find is for boe-bots, any help would be appericated.·Ive just found out that the Stamp bug was discontinued before the QTI sensor was made, but surely someone else has got it to work.·Thanks

Post Edited (1alph1) : 2/10/2010 4:42:39 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-10 17:37
    As I recall, the Stamp bug uses a BS1 microcontroller. The QTI sensor has an analog output which is probably read using the RCTIME statement that is only available in the BS2. The equivalent statement for the BS1 is the POT statement, but I'm not sure if that can be used the same way. You could use an external analog to digital converter like the ADC0831 and there are examples of its use with a BS1. Remember that a BS1 has very limited program storage (256 bytes) and there's probably very little left once you include the main Stamp bug code. You may be better off using a comparator and a 10-turn pot to set the reference voltage so the Stamp gets a simple on/off signal when the QTI voltage is above some set threshold that you can figure out experimentally.
  • 1alph11alph1 Posts: 2
    edited 2010-02-11 13:51
    Hi thanks for your reply, my Stamp uses BS2 its one of the "newer" ones,·can i use a simular hardware setup to that of the Boe-Bot? Regards·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-11 15:13
    The BoeBot uses a BS2, so the same code and hardware should work on a BS2-based Stamp bug. The I/O pins used may have to be changed (not a big deal) and there may be less +5V power available (shouldn't make much difference with the QTI sensor) on the bug.