Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Multiple Basic stamps? — Parallax Forums

Multiple Basic stamps?

electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
edited 2010-02-09 03:13 in BASIC Stamp
Hello!
I have questions regarding the use of more than one basic stamp in a project.
Can anyone point me to an article on the subject?
·

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-02-09 00:09
    There is an article in the Nuts and Volts about communicating between stamps. Don't know which one though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-02-09 00:12
    Electromanj,

There is·a Nuts and Volts column that you can reference; it is a 2 part article that explains communicating between two BASIC Stamp 2sx modules. The same could be done a number of ways with·the BASIC Stamp 2 modules, but this might get you started with some ideas. There is a simple sample in the BASIC Stamp Syntax & Reference Manual under the SERIN/SEROUT command as well. If you want to ask something more specifically regarding communication feel free to post, but this should get you started.

Nuts & Volts Volume 2 [noparse][[/noparse] col 55-56 ]:
    http://www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/NutsVoltsVolume2/tabid/446/Default.aspx

BASIC Stamp Syntax & Reference Manual:
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/stamps/web-BSM-v2.2.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • electromanjelectromanj Posts: 270
    edited 2010-02-09 00:20
    Thank you!
    I will look at those articles.
    Specifically I am using a BS2SX for the main project which monitors flow and adjusts a valve. I would like to put a BS2 with a datalogger and Real Time Clock chip in the box to record data.
    edited 2010-02-09 00:51
    Electromanj,

Communication can be done a few ways; sending serial data back and forth could work because you could send bytes of data as you read them in from the sensor. Here is a small sample of just sending bytes from a BS2 to a BS2sx via the standard I/O pins. This is a mildly crude example; sometimes it's good to have a couple examples to get the best solution.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2010-02-09 01:55
    Thanks for so much helpful information!
    I was just reading the frequently asked questions "sticky" and got a real kick out of the 'How can I program the PIC**** to be like a BS2?'
    With the prices of the OEM stamp components coupled with the unequaled support from the Parallax Staff and the Excellantly brilliant and helpful Forum members (You know who you are, and so does everyone else who frequents this forum). The choice is very clear.
    I'm proud to be a member of this Parallax forum.
    This post puts me at 101 posts. The majority of my posts have been questions. The Minority has been answers. I strive to keep learning with the goal that I can help others the way that you have all helped me!
    With the upmost respect.
    Travis.
    edited 2010-02-09 02:00
    Travis,

It's mentalities like that·which help make this·support forum so great. Thank you; for not only participating but also contributing. Hope to see your project inside the Completed Projects when done if possible. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
    edited 2010-02-09 02:43
    Thanks, by the way one of the few posts where I wasn't pleading for help was a map I made of the 4x20 LCD. If you want to post it or modify it for the LCD product page feel free.
    I wrote it on Express SCH that you can download from Express PCB website. I don't know how to convert it to a pdf, but it sure helps me in laying out code for the LCD.
    edited 2010-02-09 02:55
    Sorry, forgot to link the LCD Map. (I also thought for the longest time that Details was the most dedicated member of the Who's Online list!)smilewinkgrin.gif
  • fiveslofiveslo Posts: 40
    edited 2010-02-09 03:13
    electromanj said...
    Hello!
    I have questions regarding the use of more than one basic stamp in a project.

Can anyone point me to an article on the subject?

How about a Basic Stamp 2 and a SX.. Something I've been trying to figure out... using SX/B on the SX side... I've got the SX reading an ADC and controlling relays and the such, how could the SX initiate communications serially with the BS2 to exchange data???