Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help getting set up... Recognizing USB/BS Micro — Parallax Forums

Help getting set up... Recognizing USB/BS Micro

AcrutAcrut Posts: 5
edited 2010-02-07 23:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I've recently hooked my new BASIC Stamp. Having no DB9 jack on my computer I purchased a DB9 to USB convertor. Brand: Prolific USB-to-Serial. I have downloaded/installed the drivers from their online site, downloaded the FTDI USB Drivers as well. I've tried diferent setups in the properties menu within the Device Manager in the Control Panel including reducing the transmit buffer to 1 (just in case). For some reason I think the computer is percieving it as another screen, I say this because when I reboot it configures as such. Under device manager this USB connector appears under (COM & LPT), guessing this is right. It gives out COM6 which is what I have asigned it to in the Basic Editor when you click Identify. I'm really all out of ideas on how to get this working, I hope someone can help, for I have some homework to do and it just won't get going!

PD: Messages within BASIC ed. include (COM6: Invalid Port)

Thanks, Anuar

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-07 22:20
    The problem is with your Prolific USB to serial adapter. There are lots of adapters that are just not capable of being used for programming (Stamps, Propellers, even other manufacturers' micros) for a variety of reasons. Pretty much any adapter that uses the FTDI chip should work and the Keyspan High Speed adapter will work (if the FTDI or the Keyspan drivers are installed).
  • AcrutAcrut Posts: 5
    edited 2010-02-07 22:43
    Mr. Green thank you very much for your answer sir. I do not reside in the US, so what do you recomend I get? From what I understand I need a similiar adapter, but with a chip somewhere between the DB9 and the USB? What should I look for when purchasing the correct adapter?

Again thank you for your time and help

Best Regards, Anuar
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-02-07 23:15
    Any adapter that uses the FTDI chip should work. FTDI (based in the UK) makes a variety of adapters. Look on their website (www.ftdichip.com/Products/FTEvaluationKits.htm) for their choices. Find some colleagues with various other adapters and try them. You may find other brands that work. Unfortunately, it's impractical to exhaustively test a wide range of adapters to come up with a list of those that work. Contact the Parallax distributor where you got your Stamp. They may also carry adapters that will work with it (and should guarantee that). Parallax does make one for $15 that uses the FTDI chip:

www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/378/Default.aspx?txtSearch=usb+rs232