Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 from scratch — Parallax Forums

BS2 from scratch

we2r1two008we2r1two008 Posts: 16
edited 2010-02-08 10:40 in BASIC Stamp
Hey guys, thanks in advance for your time. After trying google and the search button here, I have'nt really found an answer to my question.
I was in a radio shack store and saw the board of education, after reading the description I had to try it out. I have been writing misc programs
using VB for years, so the learning curves was pretty much a straight line there.

On to the question... I have been looking for a tutorial or book that teaches you how to create a functional board from scratch using BS2. Our radio shack here
is limited but it does have a variety of break away boards. To take one of those and add a BS2, breadboard, power supply,etc... that would be a great tutorial and/or book.
I would like to try sensors and all the other components available but I figure first I need to get down to the very basic and have a clear understanding of these base items.
Again, thanks for your help.

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2010-02-07 12:27
    If you're just starting out and haven't bought anything yet, Parallax's What's a Microcontroller includes everything to get started with the Basic Stamp 2. Radio Shack sells it www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2117994

If you're already bought the Board of Education and a Basic Stamp 2 and are looking for information - Parallax's offers many of their books as a free download. Check out the What's a Microcontroller text here
    www.parallax.com/Store/Education/KitsandBoards/tabid/182/ProductID/327/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
    and the Basic Stamp Reference Manual 2.2 here www.parallax.com/tabid/440/Default.aspx

Lastly if your Windows XP or newer computer has a 9 pin serial port, you could easily duplicate the Stamp Carrier board with parts found at Radio Shack - see here www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampDevelopmentBoards/tabid/137/CategoryID/12/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/121/Default.aspx

As you can see in the Stamp Carrier board schematic, all that's required are two 0.1 uF capacitors, 9 volt battery and a DB9 straight thru cable to connect the board to the serial port.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2010-02-08 03:37
    we2r1two008

"StampWorks" is another great publication to read. This is 35 experiments with usable code and detailed explanations of how it works. Its a free down load on the Parallax store page. You can also get a printed soft-back book like I have.The Author is Jon Williams,very well written.

On a side note. I am so glad to here that Your B.O.E. came from RadioShack.I have hammered RadioShack with E-Mails to start up a new Educational section like the one they had back in the 80s with Forrest M Mims III and his Engineering notes. This set the foundation for every thing that I know now.If it wasn't for his great writings, I wouldn't be here on these forums.

I highly recommend Parallax to RadioShack.I'm sure I wasn't the only one sending E-Mails.

We have some Parallax parts on the shelf, Next We need some docs and some advertisement from RadioShack that they carry the Parallax stuff.

It will be so nice when I don't to have to wait on the mail,I can just run down to My local RadioShack and get what ever Parallax item I want.

It could happen!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Truth is out there············___$WMc%___···························· BoogerWoods, FL. USA
  • we2r1two008we2r1two008 Posts: 16
    edited 2010-02-08 10:40
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. Radio Shack has been great so far. I can't believe that the prices are so reasonable as well. I guess the only complaints I have is a lack of variety in their inventory and a lack of knowledge on the subject. On a better note... Radio Shack did provide me with the parts for my first project. A break away board, project housing, motion detector, a switch, etc. (For a five dollar motion detecting sensor.. it is most impressive) A switch turns the alarm on and off, a led indicates the state of the alarm, a loud scream if you come within 12 ft of it. Very cool. I tested it on my 2 year old son with a cookie in the kitchen floor. That was a sight.

I am thinking of expanding and adding a base, motor controller and my sons battery powered nerf gun. I could learn about motors and have a little fun at the same time. :-)

@ Forrest

I can see where price versus productivity, buying the board would be a winner. Thanks for the help.