Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propscope and Labview — Parallax Forums

Propscope and Labview

steidleysteidley Posts: 4
edited 2010-02-18 13:48 in Accessories
Would there be a way I could get the command set needed to control the Propscope? As a student at Univ of New Mexico, I need to do a project in Labview and thought this would be a fun challenge.

Thanks,
David Steidley

Comments

• HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2010-02-06 19:41
    Hi David,
    PropScope can export data in various formats (txt, csv, matlab, png) to various destinations (filesystem, ftp, and to other applications via scripts). You can also use DDE to interface with it, as well as using the ViewPort Development kit to create plugins for it. Please tell me more about what you intend to do? What data do you want, at what rate? What do you want to control?
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Co-author of the official Propeller Guide- available at Amazon
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    12Blocks, the block-based programming environment (thread here)
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2010-02-06 22:10
    Hanno

·Are you talking about Propscope or Viewport having a DDE interface.

Viewport does as you have documented this but I do not remember you

mentioning it in regards to Propscope.

Tom
  • steidleysteidley Posts: 4
    edited 2010-02-08 04:42
    I would like to create a Labview driver for use with the Propscope. Having just learned (via a quick google search) what DDE is, that may be a solution. However, I am looking for a more direct approach. If you created a library (.dll) of commands that Propscope (the software) uses, then I could simply create a Labview wrapper that calls that library.

The project is about Labview. By writing a driver for Propscope, it makes it easier to prove that this isn't just some exercise in sticking together some "off the shelf" parts and ... viola. By doing this, it will be easy to show that I was the one that did it from the ground up. And, to top it all off, I would be doing it for a really cool piece of hardware.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    David
    edited 2010-02-08 07:21
    Hi David,
    A labview driver for the PropScope would be cool. I think the DDE client/server interface is your best bet-it's so easy! Here, try this:
    Start up PropScope
    Start Microsoft Excel
    Connect ch1 to a known voltage- for example, a battery
    Type "=vp|get!ch1" into cell "A1". This starts a DDE dynamic link. The value of cell A1 (usable in formulas or even graphs) will be the voltage measured by ch1.
    Type "=vp|get!list" into a cell to get the list of variables you can view.
    Download the ViewPort client kit to learn how to use DDE to connect to ViewPort- the same applies to PropScope. It contains samples in Delphi, VB, C#, python, Excel, and even Matlab. It's here: hannoware.com/viewport/clients.php

Tom, yes, PropScope contains a DDE client/server- see above...
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
    edited 2010-02-08 22:21
    Very interesting Hanno

·I was able to get Delphi 2007 win32 components to connect to

the DDE server in PropScope as shown in attached pdf file.

Just a quick test app. I was not able to reconnect a second time

after clicking on Close Link Button. I Do not know if that issue is

Me,You, or Delphi Ha.

I will have to experiment some more with the DDE interface.

Tom
    edited 2010-02-08 22:27
    Hi Tom,
    Looks good!
    I don't know why you couldn't reconnect- have you tried the samples in the kit? They do let you reconnect...
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-02-08 22:36
    For those that might be interested here is the Delphi code.
    I pasted images of the obj inspector and the main source.

Tom
  • steidleysteidley Posts: 4
    edited 2010-02-18 13:48
    Hey Hanno!

Sorry for disappearing on ya like that. I will try out the DDE interface and see how it works. Thanks for the info!