Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pulling data from Sensors — Parallax Forums

Pulling data from Sensors

ncr7ncr7 Posts: 3
edited 2010-02-07 21:05 in BASIC Stamp
I was curious if anyone had any experience from pulling data from accelerometers, gyros, and position sensitive diodes? I'm working on a project right now for relative attitude determination from line of sight and need to get information from these sensors to send to a computer to analyze the data then send back repositioning data for momentum wheels. If you have any ideas how I would go about doing this it would be great. I'm hoping to use BASIC stamp for this if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-02-05 23:19
    Phew. That's a big question. A LOT of people here have experience reading various sensors, including accelerometers and gyros (what's a "position sensitive diode"?).

How you do it depends on which sensor you're using, and which processor you're using, and probably six or seven other things. When you get to the point of having specific parts in hand you'll get more helpful answers.

BTW, the Parallax educational manuals - available for free download in .pdf form - have a LOT of information on how to read various sensors, spelled out in a way that makes it easy to understand. I strongly recommend looking at those first. I don't remember any that have gyros, but there are some that talk about reading accelerometers.
  • ncr7ncr7 Posts: 3
    edited 2010-02-07 01:10
    here is the position sensitive diode we are using www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=DL16-7-CER-SMDvirtualkey63510000virtualkey718-DL16-7-CER-SMD It is basically a device that can determine what angle light is coming into the sensor. A good example is the wii controller. Thanks for the advise about the manual, I'm going to definitely look for that.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-02-07 04:45
    Not much of a datasheet.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • ncr7ncr7 Posts: 3
    edited 2010-02-07 21:05
    yeah. Thats one of the reasons I'm having a hard time figuring it out.