Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
xbee modules — Parallax Forums

xbee modules

aviator3.1aviator3.1 Posts: 20
edited 2010-02-02 04:41 in BASIC Stamp
I just received my two modules from parallax as well as a the USB adapter board. Does anyone have any experience configuring the Xbee Pro modules. I am able to communicate under "PC Settings" in X-CTU with one of the modules but I am unable to do the same with the second. I have tried updating the firmware and I can't even do that since it will not recognize the module. On the bottom of the RF Module it is labeled XBP24-ACI RevC for both modules. I have been on the forums on DIGI's website and there was nothing useful there that I could find. I don't know if they would even offer support since I'm using the Parallax USB adapter board.

All i'm trying to set up is the PAN ID and the Node identifier.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Dan

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2010-02-01 21:12
    Dan,

I haven't experienced this particular problem. I'm wondering if their USB drivers are causing some difficulty. Have you tried to connect to the non-functioning XBee by having it in the USB Adapter Board prior to X-CTU startup? Could you try X-CTU on another PC for the non-functioning module?

We don't test Digi parts prior to shipment. These are some that we simply expect to be 100% functioning and tested from Digi, but maybe you have a bad one. If you do, we'll cross-ship a replacement right away.

Ken Gracey
  • aviator3.1aviator3.1 Posts: 20
    edited 2010-02-01 21:18
    How would I go about testing to see if it is a bad module?

Secondly, I just found something online about the modules being "Bricked" I think my issue might be in the firmware but I'm still looking into it. Have you heard of this term "Bricked" before?

Thank you for your quick reply
    -Dan
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-02-01 21:21
    Bricked = turning a nice piece of electronic equipment into the electrical equivalent of a brick. Sometimes with the release of the magic smoke.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-02-01 21:23
    lol no smoke on this one. What i don't understand is how the first module configured without any hiccups and the second one wont even be recognized.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-02-02 02:53
    Have you tried resetting the module? I can't remember the steps but I think I saw it on the Digi site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2010-02-02 02:58
    Does anyone know how to do this?
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-02-02 03:15
    I haven't had to do it myself, but people here seem to know how to reset a bricked XBee:

http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?t=12342

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2010-02-02 04:41
    I had a similar problem with a new XBee from Mouser--At least I don't think I was responsible for its brickness. I called Digi tech support and they led me through essentially the steps that artcar12 set out in the sparkfun thread that Sylvie369 linked to just above. That involved getting everything set up with the XBee out of the socket and then plugging it in carefully when the action message came up.

With the RS232 development board, they said the procedure is a bit more reliable. because the XBee stays in the socket with the power plug out, and then when the action message comes up, plug in the power.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com