Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID ?'s — Parallax Forums

RFID ?'s

RuppertRuppert Posts: 3
edited 2010-01-24 06:38 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hey Guys,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this question or not, but here goes.

I am looking to use a RFID USB reader and a tag to open the door to my car. I would however like to have it activate further away than 2 to 5 inches. More like 2 to 5 feet. I would also like to have the same reader be integrated into making the car think the key is in the ignition and allow me to use a push button start. What is available that will allow me to do this? It would have to definitely be able to read through at least glass and plastic, but steel would be much better.

Am I on the right path with the RFID USB Card Reader and Round tags? Or is there something else that would better suit my interests?

Thank you in advance gentlemen,

Mike

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-24 02:38
    Active RFID tags and reader might do what you want. Parallax does not sell those. USB in the car will not work unless you have a PC in your car. You could have the door lock unlock the ignition at the same time, not the safest idea but it would work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • RuppertRuppert Posts: 3
    edited 2010-01-24 05:07
    Thank you sir. I will take a look into that.

I was told that the USB would be a good way to go if I wanted to program it myself.

I just figure that if I am getting into the car and the fob is what is unlocking the door than it might as well unlock the ignition as well. Its standard in my brothers BMW 750LIx.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-24 05:17
    The type of RFID tags and reader that Parallax uses (125KHz frequency) will not work at the kind of range you want.
  • RuppertRuppert Posts: 3
    edited 2010-01-24 06:38
    Yeah they will only work at 2-5 inches.