Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Minor Software Bugs — Parallax Forums

Minor Software Bugs

khakikhaki Posts: 3
edited 2010-02-15 10:35 in Accessories
Just got my PropScope yesterday and started playing with it this morning, I love it thanks Parallax. I finally pulled the trigger during the Haiti donation promotion, thanks for motivating me. The PropScope software is awesome Hanno, you did a great job on it!

I noticed a couple of minor bugs with the software, nothing serious or without a workaround. Something for you to look at for the next version of the software Hanno. I suspect several of them stem from the same source in the software.

1.) Function Generator continues to generate after software is closed (I would have expected that the entire unit would power down. Is the only way to power off to unhook the USB connection?)

2.) Toggling the Run on the Oscilloscope to off leaves the Function Generator on (I expected this), but it seems to unlink the Function Generator controls. Changes made don't take effect, but the selections show the new values. You have to enable Run and make all the selections again for them to take effect, even though the GUI still shows your new choices.

3.) If you have a non custom wave (sin, square, or sawtooth) selected on the Function Generator and you click Edit, the custom wave is displayed when you hit okay, but the GUI still shows the previous wave as being selected. (I love the Custom wave function by the way!)

4.) Stop (from the file menu) doesn't stop the Function Generator.

5.) The Disable button for the Function Generator doesn't disable the Function Generator when the Run button for the Oscilloscope is disabled.

6.) Tool tips are displayed and updated even when the PropScope software isn't the active window. (Try placing a window over the top of PropScope and moving your cursor near the edge of the window, you'll see tool tips peeking out the side. Or try putting a semi transparent window on top, you'll see all your tool tips appear as you move the mouse around.

I hope you don't take this as criticism, I think the software is great and these are all trivial issues. I just didn't see anywhere else to submit bug reports and figured you'd want to fix these at some point.

Comments

• HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2010-01-24 00:16
    Hi Khaki,
    Thanks for the valuable feedback. I love feedback and have a think skin, so feel free to help me help you. I'm very close to finishing v1.04, I'll see if I can incorporate fixes to most of your issues. Been very busy with my various projects and family, haven't even sent out my holidays cards out yet!
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Co-author of the official Propeller Guide- available at Amazon
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    12Blocks, the block-based programming environment (thread here)
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2010-02-15 00:00
    Hanno said...
    Hi Khaki,
    Thanks for the valuable feedback. I love feedback and have a think skin, so feel free to help me help you. I'm very close to finishing v1.04, I'll see if I can incorporate fixes to most of your issues. Been very busy with my various projects and family, haven't even sent out my holidays cards out yet!
    Hanno

· Since I'm here !(grin) I sent you a Post at the forum on your site!

·But since the software was brought up I thought I would butt in here! The Help file is out of date!

·the propscope don't have·a 10 pin connector That I know of,and there is NO mention of the RCA Video connection, Methinks Things changed since!(grin)

·My other thoughts! The External board seems too much of a problem waiting to happen!idea.gif
    ·A Naked board? EEEK!·freaked.gif· Why not put it in a nice cozy box with a small 26 pin connector and header cable between them! I noticed there is no hardware with the board( the Nut's and Washers for the BNC sockets are missing) As if I put this board in a box I will need them as there·are No mounting holes in the board to mount it anywhere. I keep thinking of someone knocking the board from the connector or stepping on it in frustration of a not working project! Enough said!
    My CAT's likes nice cozy boxes,fun to sleep and play in!jumpin.gif
    ·Cheers Dennis

nono.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 2/15/2010 12:07:33 AM GMT
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2010-02-15 06:21
    Hi Dennis,
    I'll update the help file for v1.05. Good idea about the box!
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Co-author of the official Propeller Guide- available at Amazon
    Developer of ViewPort, the premier visual debugger for the Propeller (read the review here, thread here),
    12Blocks, the block-based programming environment (thread here)
    and PropScope, the multi-function USB oscilloscope/function generator/logic analyzer
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2010-02-15 10:35
    Hanno said...
    Hi Dennis,
    I'll update the help file for v1.05. Good idea about the box!
    Hanno

Sure Makes making improvments a lot easier without damage(grin)
    I spent a lot of year's in electronics and making prototypes So at my age 65 nobody wants me,So I fiddle around(not with the girls) With my new toys!
    Lookin good!cool.gif CHEERS
    Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔