Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PIR sensors in fire accidents — Parallax Forums

PIR sensors in fire accidents

arvind88arvind88 Posts: 1
edited 2010-01-25 02:44 in Accessories
I am doing my real time project using PIR sensor(#555-28027).My project is based on indoor resident location.
In case of fire accidents in an indoor location,where in this situation we expect heavy smoke,fire,high temperature.My query about this sensor is can this sensor detect· the motion of human in above mentioned consequences.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-23 20:30
    Aka, will the sensor ignore fire and smoke? I doubt it for the fire and background temperature, maybe for the smoke. Why not run some experiments and see what happens?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2010-01-23 21:20
    If you're going to experiment, I'd suggest using the basement of someone you no longer want to be friends with smile.gif

I'm going to suggest that you'll have some problems with this. I did some work with a company on a "zero force" sensing system to try and keep track of people. The system worked great in most cases. It was a total failure at an installation at an air port hanger. What made this one application different? The ambient temperature turned about to be very close to 98.6. The PIR stuff couldn't see a thing. We verified this by turning the heat WAY up in the test area, and we were able to duplicate the results.

If the fire is "hot enough", maybe the humans will appear cold enough to be seen, but I'm guessing not. I'm not sure how you'd really test this, other than with a real live fire department (or your soon to be ex-friends house). Even using something like a bonfire wouldn't be a good test, as while you could get a hot background, you don't have the same "overwhelming" of the ir sensors that you would have in a fire.

That said, there may be some hope, some departments do use an IR camera to help with search and recovery. This does see through the smoke, and people do appear "colder" than the surrounding blaze, at least in some cases.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • jeff2.0jeff2.0 Posts: 24
    edited 2010-01-25 02:44
    A microwave sensor might work better in that situation.