Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Display — Parallax Forums

LCD Display

hmlittle59hmlittle59 Posts: 404
edited 2010-01-28 05:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hello All,

I have a design based on the BS2e chip with a Parallax Serial LCD. If I were to switch to a cheaper Display(w/o Serial Board), could I still use the BS2e chip with additional code for the Display? I've seen Display's for (5 to 7) dollars and wander if the current PBASIC code would support them. If not then what chip from Parallax would and could I still use my current code?

thanks for any help

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I'M STILL LEARNING SO MUCH...BUT STILL KNOW SO LITTLE!!!

hmlittle59

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-23 04:06
    You would need to link to the datasheet for someone to answer that question but if it were not serial you would not be able to use the serial code with any stamp..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • Oper8r AlOper8r Al Posts: 98
    edited 2010-01-24 14:46
    Take a look at this nuts & volts column. It may answer some of the questions you have about using a lcd without the serial backpack.

www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/cols/nv/vol1/col/nv31.pdf
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2010-01-24 23:41
    You need to look what type of controller the LCD has you sometime find that in the data sheet but you have to really look for it

The one that Parallax sell have· a Hitachi HD44780 controller

I hope this helps

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • DigitalRedlineDigitalRedline Posts: 5
    edited 2010-01-25 01:58
    The serial backpacks just simplify the programming process. Additionally, if you end up using a larger display, you may run out of pins to run it off. Something like a 4x20, or even a 128x160 run without serial would be a pain, especially if you want to do special characters or boxes and circles that some LCD screens can do.
  • hmlittle59hmlittle59 Posts: 404
    edited 2010-01-26 05:13
    Hello All,

Thanks, I'll look at the postings and my application is built around a 2x16 Backlit LCD from Parallax. Also you stated that the controller (Hitachi HD44780 controller) is the one that Parallax uses. I thought that it was their own board?

Thanks for the input

Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

hmlittle59
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-01-26 14:18
    The Hitachi HD44780 controller is pretty "Standard" in small LCD displays -- Kind of the "Hayes Modem Command Set", only for LCD's. A "Serial LCD" simply puts some small processor in front of the 44780 to make using it easier and take fewer pins from your BS2.
  • hmlittle59hmlittle59 Posts: 404
    edited 2010-01-28 05:15
    Hello All,

I down loaded the Manual from the link above and it's a bit of reading and understanding. I'm will be implementing this Display in a couple of months if all goes well. I was going to switch to the 24 pin chip first but this may make more since to start with the display to learn the new coding. I'm using the BS2e now and have code in Slots (0-4) and that will be a lot of code to rework...til then thanks

thanks again

Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

hmlittle59