Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Beginner in need of advice — Parallax Forums

Beginner in need of advice

HuliHuli Posts: 1
edited 2010-01-22 20:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!

I intend to set up a windmeter connected to a cell phone and a Basic stamp 2pe. The function will be to send me an sms with wind speed and direction.

as a first experiment I will try to print the windspeed on a 2x16 serial lcd display wich uses the command "SEROUT" the windmeter gives a signal of 0-90 hz to be calculated into m/s

Iam a total beginner to programming in any language and find it a bit difficult to grip wich of all the pdfs about the stamp to look into. have been trying to copy some code direct into the stamp editor but the best i got was random letters on the screen.

any tips about the smoothest way to learn PBasic for someone whithout earlier experience of programming?

could I learn just the parts i need to do this project or should I aim at a more complete and profound knowledege in the language? (of course I would like to be good at pbasic but Im afraid my motivation may lack if its too time consuming and my goal is mainly this project)

any tips about tutorials,datasheets, etc to get me going is much apreciated! (also thoughts about the project in general!)

best regards // Linus

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-01-20 21:14
    There are a number of systems involved here, probably the most complicated being the sms part, followed by the windmeter part. You can certainly try to dive right in and learn just about what you need to. In fact, you would probably be done sooner with that method but it will be much more frustrating and result in an inferior final product. The alternative is to learn the basics of programming and electronics, then fit the knowledge for your project into that framework. It will take longer, but you'll probably enjoy it more and end up with something a little bit more robust.

I'd start with the "What's a Microcontroller" pdf from Parallax, followed by the chapter in "advanced sensors" that deals with the LCD.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔