Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter - will it help my USB/Serial issues? — Parallax Forums

Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter - will it help my USB/Serial issues?

cm5299cm5299 Posts: 12
edited 2010-01-21 01:59 in BASIC Stamp
I want to know if the Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) Adapter will solve the problem I'm having with my current USB/serial cable.

I am having a real beast of a time getting my RS serial/usb cable to work on my mac and my Stamp Activity Kit board. The same board works fine in windows and my usb BOE board works fine on the mac.

I have tried all of the drivers I can find but it still will not recognize it in MacBS2.

Am I missing something? Any troubleshooting advice?

Will the device in the post topic eliminate the need for the USB/serial driver on the mac? I'm not sure exactly how it works.

I have two new RF transceivers that I'm itching to get talking to each other.

Thanks in advance.

Post Edited (cm5299) : 1/20/2010 10:41:15 PM GMT

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2010-01-20 18:54
    The cable/adapter that Parallax sells needs drivers too but the chip is from FTDI and is known to work with the Parallax product.
    Some other cables work and others are known to not work so the safest method is to get the Parallax product.
    Someone else with a mac may chime in with some mac specific troubleshooting tips.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • cm5299cm5299 Posts: 12
    edited 2010-01-20 22:23
    Franklin said...
    The cable/adapter that Parallax sells needs drivers too but the chip is from FTDI and is known to work with the Parallax product.
    Some other cables work and others are known to not work so the safest method is to get the Parallax product.
    Someone else with a mac may chime in with some mac specific troubleshooting tips.
    Thanks.

The fact it is specifically designed for Parallax probably makes it worth the buy. Good point.

That should give me the best shot to get it working anyway.

Thanks again.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-20 23:37
    I've used a Keyspan High Speed Serial Adapter with several different Macs over the years and it works fine (with Keyspan's drivers) with the Stamp Editor and with the Propeller Tool. Mostly I use either FTDI's adapters or Parallax's FTDI adapters.
  • cm5299cm5299 Posts: 12
    edited 2010-01-21 01:59
    Mike Green said...
    I've used a Keyspan High Speed Serial Adapter with several different Macs over the years and it works fine (with Keyspan's drivers) with the Stamp Editor and with the Propeller Tool. Mostly I use either FTDI's adapters or Parallax's FTDI adapters.
    Thanks Mike.

Also a big thanks to all you contribute here. I have been reading the forums here for a while and you're input is greatly appreciated.