Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
board of education Rev D questions — Parallax Forums

board of education Rev D questions

UG_CyberUG_Cyber Posts: 5
edited 2010-01-20 05:33 in BASIC Stamp
I have two questions......

I have the board of education Rev D. If i put an external power of 12v on the bread board, not the pins or the ground on the board, would it damage the board?
if not, would i be able to use the 2N3904 transistor with that much voltage??

Thank you in advance

Post Edited By Moderator (Joshua Donelson (Parallax)) : 1/20/2010 1:51:00 AM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-20 01:13
    There are no connections between the breadboard area and the rest of the Board of Education (BOE).· You can put anything you want to on it (using common sense in terms of voltage and current).· If there's to be any connection to the rest of the BOE, you'll need to connect the grounds together (of your circuit to Vss).

Why would you need to use a 2N3904?· If you're switching power to some device that runs off 12V, you would need a switching transistor of some sort.· A 2N3904 could certainly handle 12V up to a few hundred mA.· There's a good discussion of this in Nuts and Volts Column #6.· Use the Resources tab on the main Parallax webpage to find a link to the Nuts and Volts Columns index.
  • UG_CyberUG_Cyber Posts: 5
    edited 2010-01-20 05:33
    I want to use that transistor as an on/off switch because that is what came with the kit. If i can simply turn the current on/off, then it should suit me well.

thank you....I will check out that Nuts and Volts section.

@mod sorry about the topic name, i realized i didn't set one after i submitted the post smilewinkgrin.gif Thanks for the fix

Post Edited (UG_Cyber) : 1/20/2010 5:40:48 AM GMT