Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Loopback test — Parallax Forums

Loopback test

TombTomb Posts: 2
edited 2010-01-18 20:42 in BASIC Stamp
I get echo ok, but loopback does not run and I get error "NO Basic Stamp found".
Is it a absolute must that the "Board of Education" be used. Otherwise I don't find any difference
between the way·I wired·the BS2 circurit and how it is·wired·on the BOE board.
Attached is the picture of the Identify Form

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-18 19:38
    It is not necessary to use the "Board of Education". The Stamp Manual (BASIC Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual) has schematic diagrams showing how a Stamp should be connected to a serial port for programming and debugging purposes. The loopback test just tests for a jumper between DSR and RTS (pins 6 and 7 of the DB-9 connector). "NO Basic Stamp Found" usually is due to one of several problems:

1) No power applied to the Stamp. The Stamp needs to be running for it to be found.

2) Some kind of bad connection between the Stamp and the PC. The "echo ok" suggests that this isn't the case, but isn't foolproof.

3) If you're using a USB to Serial Adapter, it must implement the DTR control line. This is used to reset the Stamp to start the identify/download process. There can be problems with the USB driver as well. The default Windows driver in particular doesn't work for downloading.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    edited 2010-01-18 19:46
    Tomb,

No, the Board of Education (BOE) is one of the development boards that you could use with a BASIC Stamp, however are you using straight serial connection or using a USB to Serial converter? Echo indicates that the BASIC Stamp is present (Mike is correct not completely fool-proof) and the Loopback indicated either the cable or adapter has drivers missing, not compatible (such as a Belkin product), or not operating properly. If you are using a USB to Serial adapter, what is the manufacturer?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Respectfully,

Joshua Donelson
    www.parallax.com
  • TombTomb Posts: 2
    edited 2010-01-18 20:42
    Thanks to both, you were absolutely correct it was a cable problem. I should have paid more attention to the communications troubleshooting guide. Everything is up and running perfectly.

Again Thanks

Tomb