Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Loopback "Yes", Echo "NO" on my BoE USB.. tried everything! GRR! — Parallax Forums

Loopback "Yes", Echo "NO" on my BoE USB.. tried everything! GRR!

BasicMikeBasicMike Posts: 5
edited 2010-01-17 18:05 in BASIC Stamp
Hello, I've been working with my BoE Rev. C. board with my BS2 Rev J Stamp for quite some time now.· I've had servo's and GPS modules connected in the past with great success.. I put my stamp away for about 4 months and recently brought it back out to work on it again.· For whatever reason, my stamp won't connect.· I've checked the Latency Timing in the troubleshooting document and made the adjustment to 0 from 16, I've installed the USB driver from the downloads section, then the·latest FTDI driver from FTDI, I've tried 3 different USB cables and three different computers with all the same messages.· I've got the latest Stamp program as well.· I tried a different power supply, and battery (i see the light come on with both types of power), but still nothing.· I've got the USB FTDI connector on my BoE board.· I know the Echo has something to do with the PC talking to the Stamp, but I don't know how else to get this to work!?· I ran a volt meter across the VSS to VDD and was getting 4.94V, so I don't believe the stamp is an issue.. Any thoughts!.. very frustrating!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-01-16 04:30
    It sounds like you've done all the right things to try to figure it out and fix it. I'd call Parallax Tech Support on Monday. You may have a bad BOE. It's possible that it might be the BS2, but unlikely since the echo is done in the RS232 to logic level interface and there's not much to go wrong there.
  • NubyNuby Posts: 18
    edited 2010-01-16 20:56
    Don't laugh but check your power source! Change it or get a new battery for it. I just went thru a bunch of things that sounded similar to some of your issues. It turned out to be my powere source. It is sorta like checking to see if you have gas when your car will not run. Just thought i say something as it cost me two days before i found it>

thanks
    nuby
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2010-01-17 00:24
    You did plug the BS2 in right-side up, right?
  • BasicMikeBasicMike Posts: 5
    edited 2010-01-17 02:37
    Yes, the BS2 has never left the board since I put it away, so I know it's in the slot correctly.· The power supply works fine, tested it with a voltmeter, also tried a couple different 9V batteries just in case.

The only thing that has really changed since I put it away till now is the USB cable.· while the stamp was in storage i used the USB cable for something and lost it.. I have tried three different ones, but as far as i know the USB cable for the·BoE boards are not keyed, so any USB cable SHOULD work?

Does anyone know if the ECHO is related to the connection between the computer and the BoE board?? I gotta call tech support Monday, but i'm itchin to get this thing working!!!

Mike
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-01-17 03:37
    It's easy enough to isolate the problem between the BOE and the Stamp. Just remove the BASIC Stamp module, and insert a jumper wire into the vacated socket between Sout and Sin (pins 1 and 2):

attachment.php?attachmentid=66840

If you then get an echo, the fault is with the Stamp chip; if not, it's with the BOE.

-Phil
    432 x 547 - 67K
    edited 2010-01-17 05:01
    Thanks alot for your post! After reading it, I started looking at the FTDI chip and the Stamp.. I found a huge chunk taken out of my board!! have a look.. right at the top of the FTDI chip, on the 3rd pin, follow it up to the resistor.. the trace is broken.. [noparse]:([/noparse]·

Is there anyway I can convert this to a DB9 setup?· I tried soldering a jumper from the 3rd pin to the resistor, but my hands aren't what they used to be and I ended up soldering a couple of pins together on the FTDI chip.. sooo.. i'd like to bypass the FTDI all together and solder some leads onto the bottom of the stamp's socket (with the stamp removed of course) and plug it into a com port using a DB9 cable.

I need to know which pins on a DB9 goto which pins on the stamp.· It looks as though i only need·Sout, Sin, ATN, but I don't have a pinout translation to the DB9 port..

I have zero budget, so help me obi wan kenobi, you're my only hope.. lol
    640 x 478 - 101K
    FTDI.JPG 100.6K
    edited 2010-01-17 05:31
    OK, i think i found it.. http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/boards/BOERevC.pdf
    It looks pretty simple, I need a couple of cap's, and that's about it..

Looking at Phil's post, I see the two caps beside the connector, so i'm pretty sure this is all i have to do.. (Thanks Phil!)

Can someone confirm that this is all I need to do to convert it over to a DB9?

Mike
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2010-01-17 18:05
    Mike,

you don't need all of that.

If you are confortable, take an exacto knife, and scrape the green layer off that trace, and drop a small amount of solder to bridge the trace break. Then you won't need any other parts.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!